2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do ya'll have to say as to the pros and cons of the various progressive presses? It seems like the Hornaday lock-n-load is the most popular around me. I have always been a RCBS guy but am broadening my knowledge now.So what do you have and why?

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
I have the Hornady L-N-L for my pistol and bulk .223 stuff. I use the RCBS single stage for my precision loads. So far the Hornady has been flawless.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the way I will be doing it also, high rate of fire stuff through the progressive and precision stuff through the single stage.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have used a RCBS 4x4 since back in the early eighties to load countless revolver, auto, and rifle rounds. I also like to use it to size bulk cases when I get low. It has been well worth the initial outlay and I probably broke even the first year I got it.

The biggest issue is getting everything set up properly. With the newer ones most have blocks which house the individual caliber dies making it very easy to go from one to another. With mine I had to set all of the dies up initially for it, and if I use them on any other press I have to readjust them. Through the years I have for the most part acquired at least a sizing die for the calibers I use it to size and in some of the handgun calibers I simply picked up an extra set of dies for use on the single stages I carry to the range or country.

If I were in the market for one today I would most likely go with the Hornady as well or with a Dillon, either are well built and have exceptional warranties.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What do ya'll have to say as to the pros and cons of the various progressive presses? It seems like the Hornaday lock-n-load is the most popular around me. I have always been a RCBS guy but am broadening my knowledge now.So what do you have and why?
I use a Dillon 450 for my handgun loading, I have had the Dillon for about 14 years and I think it is going to hold up. I use a Rock Chucker for my rifle loading.

It is really hard to beat RCBS's customer service and availability.

·
OllllO
8,874 Posts
When I was reloading I used a Dillon "Square Deal B" and thought it was the greatest thing sine sliced bread.

I quit reloading a few years ago but I am once again thinking about buying another Dillon...either another Square Deal or a 650.

Dillon I think has the best customer service! You can call them and say "I broke the ________ on my machine" and they will send you another part ASAP! I bought my first machine used and it needed a couple items, I called them up and they said send it to us and we will rebuild it for FREE!!! If I buy another machine it WILL be a Dillon!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have 2 Dillon 550's. One I leave set up for 223. and the other is set up for 45 acp. I end up loading a few thousand of both of these every month or so. I have a gun happy family that love going to the ranch and shooting. I also have a Lee single press that I use for other loads that I only need 50-100 rounds. The Dillon is a bit expensive, but I feel it is worth the reliability when loading high volume rounds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
progressive press

If you shoot alot or not go with the Dillon 650 or 1000 , it will give you alot of ammo and free time because of the speed. Hence , more fishing or shooting . Hard decision , but the choice is yours to make. Have had Dillon and Star presses for ever and did not regret leaving RCBS. Don't get me wrong RCBS is great , just a tad slow compared to the other presses mentioned above.. My 2 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts