2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of what your community is doing to protect animals! Anyone who has owned and loved a dog, cat, snake, horse, turtle, canary, chicken, pig...whatever very special "friend(s)" you've welcomed into your home, into your barnyard or ranch...they have special "Animal Cops" there in Houston to protect them.

I've posted quite a few times about Discovery's Animal Planet channel. I've suggested (no I wasn't insisting) that you watch this week's "Animal Cops Houston" on Animal Planet because all of you should be so proud of what their doing for your and all other animals in Houston.

I took time this morning to put together an "introduction" of those heros that are out there working for you. No, I have NOTHING to do with Animal Planet or Animal Cops. They have no idea who I am nor should they care. But I AM going to introduce them to you! That's in case you ever see them at work, in the grocery store, on the street...or wherever. Tip that glorious Texas hat to them. Give them a "thank you" and a handshake. They're out there taking some big risks and working their butts off for the people of Houston.

Here goes THE ANIMAL COPS HOUSTON AGENTS:
Meet the investigators of the Houston SPCA ...

1. Jim Boller
Houston SPCA Director of Field Services
What is the most challenging part of your job?
The biggest challenge I find with cruelty investigations is remaining objective. Many of the people that we deal with are naive about proper animal care and it is challenging to educate them as to what is reasonable under the law in Texas. It also can be challenging dealing with those reporting alleged cases of animal cruelty, because sometimes they do not understand why we can't change a situation. For example, there are many times we might find that the animal is not being properly cared for, but the state standard is being met; therefore, legally, no change can be required. Animal related issues are very emotional ones. In order to be effective at what we do we must look at the situation based on what the law allows versus what our personal opinion is.

2. Max Mixson
Houston SPCA Senior Cruelty Investigator
What do you like about your job?
There are many things about being a cruelty investigator that I enjoy. First, and more importantly, I like being able to help people better understand their pets' needs. In situations where the pet owners are resistant to improve the situation, it is rewarding to know that I can remove the animals from a hurtful environment and see them placed in a better home. On a lighter level, I enjoy that there is never a boring day as a cruelty investigator. On any day I may work around animals ranging from house cats and dogs to horses, or even exotic animals.

3. Charles Jantzen
Assistant Chief Cruelty Investigator
The cruelty investigator is able to see the conditions the animals are living in prior to becoming involved. Once an investigation has begun, the conditions either improve to meet state standards, or the animal is removed. Each of these outcomes is satisfying, knowing that the animals will not have to live in substandard conditions any longer.

4. Sheila Kennedy
Houston SPCA Cruelty Investigator
I like my job for many reasons. Being a cruelty investigator helps me to give a voice to the animals. I am also privileged to work with the best team of cruelty investigators in the nation. I get great satisfaction from, when necessary, taking animals out of very bad environments and giving them a chance at finding a family who will be able to properly care for them.

5. Ernie Angerstein
Why is what you do important to you?
Being a cruelty investigator is important to me because if I can change my thoughts and views, anyone can. For example, as a child, I used to go hunting with my father and grandfather. We hunted all the time, as many families do. Now, I can't even imagine taking an animal's life. I don't believe that people are better than animals; we are all here in this world together.

6. Deborah Turner
How do you feel you make a difference?
During my previous employment as a veterinary technician, I could help animals medically, but that was the extent of what I could do to assist them. As a cruelty investigator for the Houston SPCA, I can not only help animals' physical conditions, but can also become involved in the judicial process and see justice accomplished for the animals in the courtroom, if necessary.

(continued)

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rest of the gang

Here are the last 3 agents:

7. Barbra Christiansen
Cruelty Investigator
It is important to me that animals have the quality of life they deserve, and that their owners are making an effort to show them that they are wanted. Through the other Houston SPCA cruelty investigators and I, the animals have a voice, and are being protected when they are unable to protect themselves. Not every animal is wanted or loved, but in these cases we are able to help them be placed into a home where they will be cherished, as they should be, and treated kindly.

8. Christine Kendrick
Deputy Constable for Harris County Precinct One
(Animal Planet’s text identifies this officer as shown above although the photo ID calls her “agent Kirkland”. I apologize for any confusion)
Role: Patrol Deputy assigned to the HSPCA; obtains warrants from court for HSPCA animal seizure cases and assists with uncooperative or violent people the HSPCA investigators visit. Christine also does regular police work including answering calls for burglaries and writing traffic tickets.
How did you get assigned to the HSPCA?
Everyone who I work with on the precinct knows I love animals, so I've always got sent on the animal calls. Then four years ago I got officially assigned to the Houston SPCA.

9. Scott Wernick
What is the most challenging part of your job?
Sometimes it's hard not to just begin screaming and yelling at someone because of what they've done. Not necessarily at the people who don't realize what they have done but at the ones that don't care. I understand that most people do not have the knowledge of most Houston SPCA workers but some things are obvious or at least you might think so. Oftentimes, people think they can do anything they want to an animal because the animal cannot do or say anything about it; it's good to be there to stand up for the animal.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And Finally ....

If you're not familiar with the Texas law about cruelty to animals....here's part of it. You may want to share this with some neighbors that you think would benefit from the information:

A PORTION OF THE TEXAS ANIMAL CRUELTY LAW

Under Texas law, the cruel treatment of animals is forbidden. There are a number of actions that are considered "cruel", including:

(1) torturing an animal;
(2) failing to provide food, care or shelter;
(3) abandoning an animal;
(4) transporting or confining an animal in a cruel manner;
(5) killing, seriously injuring, or poisoning an animal;
(6) causing an animal to fight with another;
(7) using a live animal as a lure in a dog race;
(8) tripping a horse;
(9) injuring an animal belonging to another person; or
(10) seriously overworking an animal.

Generally, there are two types of laws that protect animals from cruelty: criminal laws and civil laws. These two types of laws are similar in many ways but differ greatly in the penalties that they impose. If prosecuted in a criminal case, a person may face penalties including a fine, loss of freedom, or both. In Texas, animal cruelty convictions are classified as either a misdemeanor or a felony. If a person under the age of eighteen is convicted of animal cruelty, the law also requires that he or she undergo counseling. On the other hand, if a person is brought to court in a civil case for treating an animal cruelly, that person may have to pay damages to the animal’s owner, or may have their own animals taken away. The court could order that the animal be auctioned, given up to an animal rescue group, or put to sleep.

FOR MORE ANTI-CRUELTY STATUTES OF TEXAS GO HERE:

http://www.animal-law.org/statutes/texas.htm

Thanks for letting me get on a platform!

AJ

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
I guess rule number 10 can be interpreted for those offenders up in College Station. ROTFLOL ewwwwwww Weeeeee

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Good people indeed, but for every good story read about 300 bad ones are never heard. There are literally 10's of thousand stray animals in the Houston area. Most of the stories seen or heard are of animals that are found mistreated, and way to late to do much for them and they must be put down.

·
Banned
299 Posts
See this is the kind of attitude I talked about on the other thread you had on this show.

5. Ernie Angerstein
Being a cruelty investigator is important to me because if I can change my thoughts and views, anyone can. For example, as a child, I used to go hunting with my father and grandfather. We hunted all the time, as many families do. Now, I can't even imagine taking an animal's life. I don't believe that people are better than animals; we are all here in this world together.
In my opinion, this person has no business holding that position with that type of attitude.

This guy believes I shouldn't kill deer or dove or ducks. How far do you think he is from saying we shouldn't fish either?????

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
InfamousJ said:
I guess rule number 10 can be interpreted for those offenders up in College Station. ROTFLOL ewwwwwww Weeeeee[/QUOTEYOU

YOU JUST CROSSED THAT THIN LINE BETWEEN US :texasflag AGGIES AND YOU POOPER SCOOPERS!!! :cop: :rotfl:

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
DISSipator said:
See this is the kind of attitude I talked about on the other thread you had on this show.

In my opinion, this person has no business holding that position with that type of attitude.

This guy believes I shouldn't kill deer or dove or ducks. How far do you think he is from saying we shouldn't fish either?????
I AGREE:) LETS KEEP OUR FISHIN ADN HUNTIN RIGHTS FROM BEIN TAKIN AWAY FROM US BY THEM USUELESS JERKS!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gosh!?!?!?

WHAT'D I DO NOW?

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Not a darn thing Joyce. These guys will argue over anything when it rains around here. Thanks for the kind words about our SPCA. I, for one, would never hunt again either but I don't get in the way of anyone else (including my own family) doing it. Just because someone doesn't want to hunt themselves does not mean that they are anti-HUNTERs.

FC

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
InfamousJ said:
Hey JJ, is that yer haws in that there Dissipators avatar? LOL
NOPERS, ITS MY HOSS' BROTHER...ROTF! LOL.....JJ

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Yeah, you didnt do anything AJ. The animal police needs those types or nothing would ever get done about the animal stuff. We just would not want them having the power to influence the hunting/fishing rights we have.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Jan, is a Fish not an animal?? Do you not hunt when you fish?

Aunt Joyce, I commend you on your stand and admiration for animals and the Houston SPCA. But what is not seen, is that those animals rescued from acts of cruelty are destroyed and very few ever find another home. The SPCA only holds animals for a set amount of days before they are put down. I tried to take a German Shepard Female with 8 pups to the Brazoria County SPCA, along with a $50 donation and a 50 pound bag of dog food. They informed me that they would probably find homes for the pups, but the momma would be put down because nobody wants to adopt older dogs, no matter her disposition, and she was a sweetheart. She adopted me while pregnant and I had no place to keep her or I'd have kept her myself. Bottom line is that the SPCA, no matter which branch, all do things the same way. Dogs and cats not adopted within XX days are destroyed. Now there are a few groups locally that take in strays, fix them, give them their shots and hold them till a home is found. These are the groups that deserve your/our Praise.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Aj, You've Done Nothin Wrong. Me/we Just Don't Want That To Influence Our/your Huntin/fishin Rights. I Want To Fish And Hunt My Entire Lifetime With Out Fear Of It Bein Takin Away From Us/me. I Highly Value The Fishin And Huntin Institutions. I Don't Ever Want To Let It Get Away From Us....jj

·
Banned
299 Posts
Nothing against you AJ. And like I said in the other thread. I am sure these people do SOME good. But everytime I watch this show I get mad because of those types of attitudes are displayed. And it colors the thoughts of our children.

Here's that quote one more time.
I don't believe that people are better than animals
Here's a few words from a higher power on the subject.

Genesis 1

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts