2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
El Viejo
23,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houston Remember When: Best Of Air: Wednesday, December 2, 7:00 pm on HD Future Airs: 12/04/09, 1:00 am HD Broadcast In: English This broadcast contains a selection of six segments from the first four Remember When programs. This evening of nostalgic storytelling will offer an insight into the history of our city's classic movie theaters, fantastic Christmas attractions, Big Band dance halls, No-Tsu-Oh Carnival highlights including a tale of a stuffed whale, Princes Drive-in's heyday, Glenn McCarthy's Shamrock Hotel, and Galveston amusements for young and old.

My Bad....Channel 8....

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,232 Posts
i remember houston when,, i was raised telephone and wayside area, some dont know nasa used to be right there in my neighborhood, off wayside , i think there is a parks dept. there now,, frito lay use to be at 45 and broad street. , sugarhill recording studios was right across the bayou from where i lived. tel-wink grill, telephone road drive in theater. stockyards over by u of h , colt 45's, peppermint park. james original coney island downtown where you ate on them ol wooden school chairs. im old. santa rosa theater, broadway theater, loma linda mexican restaurant http://www.telephoneroadtexas.com/

·
El Viejo
23,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anybody remember that time when the freeway was under construction for repairs?
Bruce...I'm guessing you meant 'wasnt' under construction...LOL..and, NO, I don't every remember it being really finished...but did find this little blog about it...

Just sat thru about an hour of great old memories of 'party time' in Houston..Man..the Plantation, Southern Dinner Club...now about to crank up on AJ Foyts debut as a racer at the old Playland Park.. Never missed a weekend out there...

Pix is of the Gulf Freeway at League City about 1955..

This area is and always has been a hell of a fine place to live...:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"1998The Gulf Freeway is free of construction, after a 30-year run of continuous or near-continuous construction"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,867 Posts
Pix is of the Gulf Freeway at League City about 1955..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"1998The Gulf Freeway is free of construction, after a 30-year run of continuous or near-continuous construction"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why is everyone driving in the right lane...except for the car that's passing? :)

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
And how about the Four Palms or was it the Cedars Lounge?
i remember houston when,, i was raised telephone and wayside area, some dont know nasa used to be right there in my neighborhood, off wayside , i think there is a parks dept. there now,, frito lay use to be at 45 and broad street. , sugarhill recording studios was right across the bayou from where i lived. tel-wink grill, telephone road drive in theater. stockyards over by u of h , colt 45's, peppermint park. james original coney island downtown where you ate on them ol wooden school chairs. im old. santa rosa theater, broadway theater, loma linda mexican restaurant http://www.telephoneroadtexas.com/

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Remember going to the Houston Rodeo and Fat Stock show in the old Colesium in the days when Roy Rogers was the draw. After his performance, Roy and company would ride around the arena perimeter shaking kids hands.

The Houston skyline was dominated by the Gulf, Esperson, and Bank of the Southwest Buildings. The Humble building was still on the drawing building.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts