2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple pics from the feeder set up at the house, this is in Central texas and we only film and watch these deer, the freak deer may get the rules changed..lol
We are in a 13" rule county and most of the deer around here don't get a chance to mature, hopefully a few of these will get a couple more years.

Attachments

·
Trap AF ...
4,992 Posts
Man ... ! If he kept that freakyness to 5.5 - 6.5 you'd really have something there !!! A lot of times a mal-formed antler is due to an opposite injured rear leg ... but both I suspect the same, probably an in velvet injury. Very nice ... !

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,221 Posts
Spec-Rig.006 said:
A lot of times a mal-formed antler is due to an opposite injured rear leg ...
I have never seen this in our pens and we have had plenty of deer through the years with broken front and back legs. Both antlers always seem to come out in line with our expectations and a couple have been smaller, but no freaks.

I honestly think this is an old wives tale...

Nice looking deer by the way.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Spec-Rig.006 said:
Man ... ! If he kept that freakyness to 5.5 - 6.5 you'd really have something there !!! A lot of times a mal-formed antler is due to an opposite injured rear leg ... but both I suspect the same, probably an in velvet injury. Very nice ... !
I shot one like that 4 years ago. It only had one testicle. I asked the owner of the feed store about it and he said that is what it was from. Sometimes they just stay in velvet too.

·
Trap AF ...
4,992 Posts
I actually suspect genetics with the above buck, but ...

llred, I've done the same ... a few years ago I killed a nice 6 point. Typical 5 on one side, and a 17 inch long palmated blade on the other side. Deer was missing the bottom half of the opposite rear leg.

We've seen on our place deer that injured their rear legs (I suppose through fighting, coyotes, or jumping fences) that had an abnormal antler growth on the opposite side that year, and then reverted back to their typical racks the year after, but, reelthreat ... these are large acreage free-range deer and probably not feed as well as on some places.

The other thing I've seen/heard/read is that sometimes a buck retaining his velvet is due to some sort of hermaphroditic abnormalty. But ... who knows.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,221 Posts
Spec-Rig.006 said:
reelthreat ... these are large acreage free-range deer and probably not feed as well as on some places.

The other thing I've seen/heard/read is that sometimes a buck retaining his velvet is due to some sort of hermaphroditic abnormalty. But ... who knows.
Sorry, I did not give all the information on this claim of a wives tale. We have 4200 acres near Laredo and this place is not protien fed or corn fed for that matter. I have seen no evidence of the leg thing there or in our pens. This is just my observation, not saying it has never happened but I have not seen it. However, you are correct about the hermaphrodite, one or no testicle issue... this does all sorts of crazy things to antlers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
reelthreat said:
Sorry, I did not give all the information on this claim of a wives tale. We have 4200 acres near Laredo and this place is not protien fed or corn fed for that matter. I have seen no evidence of the leg thing there or in our pens. This is just my observation, not saying it has never happened but I have not seen it. However, you are correct about the hermaphrodite, one or no testicle issue... this does all sorts of crazy things to antlers.
Yeah when my dad used to work for Texaco a guy brought a Doe up there with some horns turned out it has some underdeveloped nuts when they field dressed it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just think that you have some great looking deer out your back yard. I like sticking my head out the door and watching deer interact with one another..Nature at its best..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts