2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
So many things, so little time
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a Hells Bay with 850 hours on a 02 Yamaha 90. Should I be wary of a motor with that many hours......any opinions on the value of a motor like that on the used market? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I do not know if that is too many hours. Figures out to 100+ per year. What is the average running time per trip? 3 hours? That is 30 trips per year. I would rather have a motor that is used regularly throughout the year than one that is used 2 or 3 times a year. Would also depend on how maintained and how used. Also depend on whether you can afford to replace it if it goes PFFFTTT!.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just Broke in good

That's really not a lot of hours, most honest mechanics will tell you that it's not unusual to get 2500-3000 hrs on it, before you need a major overhaul. If you were serious about it, see if the seller would allow you to have a marine mechanic check it out on your expense. Just an idea!

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,217 Posts
I think the bigger question is what do the maintenance & repair records look at that were kept by the servicing dealer. A red flag: How were the hours determined as with no model number provided, I don't recall that motor as having an ECM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts