2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm down in Port A for 2 weeks staying in the Holiday Inn ... Should I feel obligated to tip the maids? ..Do I tip a small every day? a large amount now? You all are the experts .. i need your imput

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
i would shy from doing a large amount up front...small increments on a daily or bi-daily basis will suffice. Remember to keep everything of importance locked up.

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,041 Posts
I have never tipped a hotel maid in my life, and I have stayed in a LOT of hotels. Been doing frequent business travel for over 20 years...

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
So I'm down in Port A for 2 weeks staying in the Holiday Inn ... Should I feel obligated to tip the maids? ..Do I tip a small every day? a large amount now? You all are the experts .. i need your imput
you should never feel obligated to tip - ever. tipping is never mandatory, but customary if you receive quality service. if you get superior service by the housekeeping staff, tipping would be a nice gesture and greatly appreciated, i'm sure.

but if you tip the housekeeper, make sure that you clearly indicate that money you leave out for her is a gratuity and not money that you just inadvertantly left on top of the tv or dresser. leave a little note or something. maids have to be very careful about taking anything from a guest's room if it is not perfectly clear that it has been left for them.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
i did tip the hotel made when i was in cali for a month. I was on nights and didnt like to wait for my room to get cleaned after 7. needless to say my room was cleaned before i got there at 7

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
you should never feel obligated to tip - ever. tipping is never mandatory, but customary if you receive quality service. if you get superior service by the housekeeping staff, tipping would be a nice gesture and greatly appreciated, i'm sure.

but if you tip the housekeeper, make sure that you clearly indicate that money you leave out for her is a gratuity and not money that you just inadvertantly left on top of the tv or dresser. leave a little note or something. maids have to be very careful about taking anything from a guest's room if it is not perfectly clear that it has been left for them.
Quoted for truth.

Hotel maids don't work for tips. I've rarely gotten superior houskeeping service, but on the occasions that I have, I've left a tip with a note indicating it was for the maid from date XX/XX and my room number, in an envelope with the front desk.
Once I did leave a tip on the bed for a maid that was there every day at Hostel/Hotel I stayed in for a week. Not only did she **** and span the room, but she ironed my shirts that were laid out on the bed and picked up my dirty clothes, putting them in a plastic laundry bag. I had a cooler in the room with beer in it, she filled it with ice from the ice maker while I was gone, too.
She put the money in an envelope and put it on my suitcase, I think she thought I left it by accident. So the next day, it had a note with it.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I tip them everytime. They definitely appreciate it and spend more time cleaning your room. I think leaving the tip on a pillow is the universal sign for "this is a tip". I've never stayed in a hotel for two weeks, but I'd leave them a buck or two every morning.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
I'm the housekeeping and laborer supervisor at the Angelo Inn on Goodfellow Air Force Base. I supervise 60+ workers. We have 461 rooms and suites. When my housekeepers get tips, it's usually a small amount. If I were you, I'd maybe leave $5 or $10 at the end of your stay if she did a good job, serviced your room at your request, provided extra towels, etc..

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
wrong question for me. last stay at a hotel, wife washed her hands at the last minute and we left for home. got in the car, realized she left the rings in the bathroom, called the hotel...no rings found (several months ago now). wife's fault for forgetting, but i'd have paid a nice reward...rings had sentimental value moreso than monetary. but then again, maybe if we'd have tipped them...but never thought about it.

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
wrong question for me. last stay at a hotel, wife washed her hands at the last minute and we left for home. got in the car, realized she left the rings in the bathroom, called the hotel...no rings found (several months ago now). wife's fault for forgetting, but i'd have paid a nice reward...rings had sentimental value moreso than monetary. but then again, maybe if we'd have tipped them...but never thought about it.
If they were dishonest enough to not turn in the rings...I'd say that a tip wouldn't have mattered.

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
848 Posts
Your screen name here is "free loader" and your asking about tips ???? LOL No , seriously, I wouldn't tip if you were staying less than a week, but I guess since its an extended stay some tipping would be allright. That being said, I have never tipped in a hotel myself.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
If I stay for several days I tip $2 per day or so at the end of the stay (assuming the room's been well taken care of, restocked, etc.). I always leave it on the pillow.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I stay, 3 to 4 nights at the holiday inn and have been for the last 3 years. I have never left a tip, i guess just never thought about it.

·
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!
10,861 Posts
I tip them everytime. They definitely appreciate it and spend more time cleaning your room. I think leaving the tip on a pillow is the universal sign for "this is a tip". I've never stayed in a hotel for two weeks, but I'd leave them a buck or two every morning.
X2

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys I knew I could count on the 2cool gang for opinions :) ... I'm not typically a hotel maid tipper either .. but I've also never stayed in one for 2 weeks either .. We're 4 days in now and I already feel like I know 1/2 the staff & a couple of the Coasties we see every morning at breakfast. They're deffinatly taking care of us so I'll probably leave them a couple a bucks a day.

Thanks Again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts