2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a little place in the country. Is surprisingly decked out with most everything the wife wants to come stay up there except hot water. It has electric but smaller wires and a 50 amp breaker, long run to the meter from the cabin to upgrade for a big amp heater. Would go propane but I'd have to buy a bottle and I can't believe how expensive new LP water heaters are and im not finding any used ones. Saw some of these eco like 6-7 gallon water heaters that plug into a standard 120 outlet online and wondering if anybody has ever used any of them? Water is super chilly and she just wants lukewarm. I saw a 240 version and id rather that because I figured I'd get more heat for the same amperage just not sure how well they work at all.

Or any other suggestions. Just trying to find the most cost effective way.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
A 240 volt water heater takes a 30 amp ckt so you should be OK running it from a 50 amp breaker.
The small ones, 6 to 7 gals. should work fine, they just don't have much capacity but will be enough for a shower if you blend the hot and cold.
Don't run the water heater too cool or crud can grow in it.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Amazon has several propane water heaters around $160.
I installed one like them for a neighbor and it's worked great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I installed a small 110 volt water heater at our game cleaning facilities 5 years ago and it has not missed a lick. Got it a Lowe’s. Keeps up fine with a running faucet

·
Registered
531 Posts
I recently installed a 6 gallon 110 electric at my weekend home in Sargent to replace a tankless that was damaged during the freeze. It is located in the closet directly behind my shower stall. Earlier this week I ran the shower to see how long the warm water (hot mixed with cold) lasted. It was 2.5 to 3 minutes. That size water heater works fine for one person who doesn't take long showers, and gets very hot. It takes 10-15 minutes to re-heat for the next shower. It was very easy to install and had a 110 cord ready to plug into an outlet so it was an easy DIY project.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have one of the small 120 volt water heaters at my warehouse and it works great for several people washing hands and gives really hot water. Couple of hundred dollars and simple to install. 15 amp circuit feeds it fine. One of my employees even "cooks" his Ramin noodles with the water from it and has to wait for it to cool

This is what I would do

·
Registered
339 Posts
Installed a 12 gallon, 110 volt unit in the cabin in Rockport. Works fine, one person showers every 20 to 30 minutes, it'll keep up.

Building another cabin next to this one soon, with 50 amp service from the main building and will do the same 12 gallon water heater at 110 volts.

I looked at the inline tankless propane water heaters, decided I'll stick with electric and a tank for the every other weekend use it will get.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently installed a 6 gallon 110 electric at my weekend home in Sargent to replace a tankless that was damaged during the freeze. It is located in the closet directly behind my shower stall. Earlier this week I ran the shower to see how long the warm water (hot mixed with cold) lasted. It was 2.5 to 3 minutes. That size water heater works fine for one person who doesn't take long showers, and gets very hot. It takes 10-15 minutes to re-heat for the next shower. It was very easy to install and had a 110 cord ready to plug into an outlet so it was an easy DIY project.
Dang I was looking at that size to and I figured it'd be longer than 3 minutes. I was hoping for something closer to 10-15. Tried to tell the wife she could just turn it off and on to rinse off. My bathroom doesn't have power to it so im gonna have to run wiring so 240 wouldn't be any more work than 120. Its one of those cabins that comes pre-built with a front porch and the previous owner enclosed the front porch and turned it into the bathroom so all its got is a porch light in it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed a 12 gallon, 110 volt unit in the cabin in Rockport. Works fine, one person showers every 20 to 30 minutes, it'll keep up.

Building another cabin next to this one soon, with 50 amp service from the main building and will do the same 12 gallon water heater at 110 volts.

I looked at the inline tankless propane water heaters, decided I'll stick with electric and a tank for the every other weekend use it will get.
You remember the brand and model you used? About how long a shower can you take with it?

I really thought it would be warmer water since the well has a big black plastic cistern tank before the pressure tank. Id heard it would absorb enough heat to warm the water but I can agree with the wife on that not being the case.

·
Registered
339 Posts
One person can shower just fine. The war department probably runs it out of Hot water by the time she's done, but it's Rockport, I barely even turn the hot water on when I shower.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amazon has several propane water heaters around $160.
I installed one like them for a neighbor and it's worked great.
About how much propane does it use? Would a regular 30lb bottle be enough to fuel it for a week or 2?

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I really don't know, but I'm sure it would.
Can't help you more than that, I hooked it up to a 250 gallon tank.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really don't know, but I'm sure it would.
Can't help you more than that, I hooked it up to a 250 gallon tank.
You happen to remember which brand? The one I liked the best was the happy buy but reviews sound like its junk. Does look like several people have hooked em up to bottles though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is what I have in off-grid cabin. It is plumbed to a 12 volt rv water pump, 55 gallon rain barrel attached to gutters on cabin. 12 volt battery and solar panel. The on demand wall mount heater just has 2 d cell batteries that is ignited when we turn on the shower or kitchen faucet. Simple, trouble free, plenty of hot water. Bought on Wayfair for $99 bucks about 4-5 years ago.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts