2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a pretty good thread going about fishing line, you know, toughness, memory, CASTABILITY.
CASTABILITY, now there's a topic dear to all our hearts!

Maybe I've had my head in the sand, maybe all of you know about this stuff but here's the reel, "reel magic". Like most of you, I love browsing the shelves at the local MOM and POP tackle shop. (boy aren't they few and far between!) Always curious, what will they come up with next you know, all the gadgets? Anyway, during one of those adventures a while back I ran across this little red bottle of lubricant called "HOT SAUCE". It's kinda high dollar but after reading the label man I had to try it.

Now I don't CLEAN my reals as often as I should but I do OIL THEM very often. I'm always skeptical about changing lubes you know, I've gummed some stuff up before :( so I reserved judgement for several weeks after the first application. After using this stuff for a couple of months now I can you, that it is the "reeeeeel deeeeeel". From day one, they have cast like rockets, a whole new level of performance, and the lube hangs around longer than anything I've ever used!

Have any of you tried it, what's your take on it? Fletch :dance:

·
Big Overgrown Galoot
1,061 Posts
Thanks for clarifyin that fletch and profish.....never heard of the stuff before yesterday.....and then twice....was surfin the high end of the cable channels and came across a fishing show...guy bass fishin in Arkansas...got in on the tail end of his conversation.....but basically was sayin he put "Hot Sauce" on his Quantum reel and it's casted better ever since.........glad i got yer link profish....was headin out to the garage with a jar of pace picante sauce....coulda done some damage.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Sounds interesting

Ive never heard of it but I have been a "Rocket Fuel" convert for two years now and it did the same to me. I dont have to clean as often but I doa good lube job after every trip if wading or every other if Im fishin from the boat. When this runs out I may have to give that stuff a try. It sure did make me back off on the brake a little when i firs started using it.:rolleyes:

Z

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,077 Posts
Has anyone tried the Synfilm product Royal Purple puts out? Picked up a bottle from Ben (Academy R&R repair)when I got Jr's curado back last week but haven't used it yet. He told me it lasts longer then rocket fuel. Said the RF needs to be applied more often, i.e several times a day while fishing due to being very thin Vs. a drop or 2 of SF just when cleaning.

Later,

Jeff

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,630 Posts
Rocket Fuel Lasts a long time!

Not sure what BEN is smoking, but he does not know what he is talking about concerning RF. Even if you were using the tournament grade you could fish all day with it. Yellow RF, which is the middle of the road, lasts me at least a month when I am fishing several times a week. The red RF is even thicker, but I have not used it in years so I cannot comment on how long it will last.

The bottom line on bearing lubricant is: use what works for you, don't over do it, and clean 'em out every once in a while and start over.

Mike

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
I have been using Tournament Grade Rocket Feul for about 5 years now and I swear by it. I juice all bearings that will be in motion, during casting after each days use. It DOES provide sufficient lubrication, you CAN fish with it all day, and it DOES add a lot of distance to your cast, once you re-train your thumb. :D I would not consider using anything else.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Used both and would have to give the nod to Rocket Fuel. Yellow Label will last at least a month.

I did some corrosion tests last winter on several of the top reel oils. Quantums Hot Sauce fell out of the test surprisingly soon. Their grease is very good though. After servicing a reel last spring, I opened it up this spring and it was all still where it was supposed to be and had not hardened up at all.

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ns

Whare do you find that rocket fuel, don't think I've ever seen it?

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
There may some places to get it around here but in the beginning, it was only available from a company in the UK named Veals. I have always done bidness with them, Dave is a super guy and bends over backwards to help his customers.

[email protected]

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
X1R Rod & reel lube and greese works wonders for me. Never Had a bearing go bad even while tournament bass fishing for 3 years about 4 - 5 times a week. An application normally lasts about 2 spoolings.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i have used rocket fuel for the last few years also. works great and will last.
i got mine from veals also. pm mike in friendswood he can get you some also.
ronnie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts