2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAUGHT ABOUT A 40-50 LB. HORSE EYE JACK FISH SUNDAY AT BIG SOUTHERN.DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEIR GOOD TO EAT.NEVER CAUGHT ONE,HAD TO LOOK IT UP ON INTERNET TO FIND OUT WHAT KIND OF FISH IT WAS.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
They are a lot like a jack crevalle in the meat department. Very red. That's a REAL big horse eye though.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
The only ones of the jack family I like are the pompano - the Florida and the African. Not sure if the Horse Eye or whatever you got is even edible. Most jacks aside from the few pompanos and permits really taste horrible. -sammie

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I cooked one once,funny thing about it the last side out of the grease was dark [bloody]while the other side was white.And no it wasn't good!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yellowtail (hamachi at the sushi bar) is another Jack - like Pompano it's more than worthy of the table - a prized target species in SoCal even more so than our Amberjack.

I found this on Horse Eye as food:
Notes
· Although edible, the horse-eye is not known for its taste. However, its quality of meat may improve by cutting off its tail and bleeding the fish immediately after catching.
· Along with other jack, horse-eye jack have been associated with ciguatera poisoning, which is caused by consuming a fish whose flesh is infected with a potent neurotoxin called ciguatoxin.
· Considered a friendly fish to humans, horse-eye jacks will often approach scuba divers.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Can you post a good picture of it, would help to see the fish. I just might have been a permit as they look a lot alike, I would need to see the picture. Permit move to deep water and I have caught them in Texas. Thjey spawn on deep water structure. The smaller permit stay in shallow waters while the really big ones tend to move to deeper struture water. They are not real real common here in Texas but we do catch some. Sure would love to see the picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts