2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
fish control my brain
7,750 Posts
They are rare with all the pesticides that are used now days.

I havnt seen one since the 70's until this past year.

We saw 2 and a Tortise (which I picked up and pointed him away from the road)

all down in S. Texas

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,559 Posts
All but gone from my area in Wharton County. Use to play with them, take them to school, etc. when I was a kid.

My son was 18 before he finally saw one in the wild on our place in Utopia, but even up there they're scarce.

TH

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
good post, heavyduty. i grew up right on galveston bay, and when i was a kid (60's), they were everywhere. we used to catch them from the brush over the seawall, bring 'em home, then feed them june bugs, mosquitos, doodle bugs, whatever, then let 'em go. if you tapped on their mouth, they'd open up and you could shove in an insect.

i don't think i've seen one since the '70's.... cool, interesting-looking little creatures. i hope they make a comeback. my kids have never seen one.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I haven't seen one since I hunted in Hebronville in 1981. Still see box turtles, or whatever they're called every year on my ranch in NE Frio Co.. I've been told that the horny toads are so much more rare due to fire ants. Horny toads eat red ants, and it seems the fire ants have really done a number on the red ants. Strange, because we have tons of red ants on the ranch. Anyone have any other ideas or facts?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wow, That Picture Is Like Seeing A Long Lost Friend. Lived In Abilene, Tx. For Awhile As A Kid And Had A Different Horny Toad Every Day As Pets. Don't Miss The Scorpians One Bit! Sorry Little @$#&*@$#!!! G.i. Joe's Foot, Head Would Usually Take Care Of The Scorp's For Me. Do Any Of You Remember The Ant Lions? I Think That Is What We Called Them. They Burrowed In The Sand Leaving A Cone Shape And When A Ant/bug Fell In They Would Snatch Em Up With Those Big Mandible's. And You Talk About Green Skies! Man, A Storm Would Come In And Those Skies Would Get Emerald Green. Sorry, Those Horny Toads Bring Up Some Good Memories! Feel Sorry For Kids Today,that Miss Out On All That Cool Stuff That's Outdoors. We Never Stayed Inside.that Was Punishment If We Had To Come Inside!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts