2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Salty Dawg
7,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that this was interesting so Im sharing.

Hooters boat involved in chase, arrests
Thursday, June 29, 2006
By PENELOPE McCLENNY
Staff Reporter
A 38-foot fishing boat emblazoned with the Hooters restaurant logo is back in the hands of its North Carolina owner after a highway chase that led to the arrest of a Mobile-area hunter and sport fisherman, according to the Mobile County Sheriff's Office.

Edmund H. "Eddie" Smith IV was released on a $2,050 bond Tuesday on charges of menacing, reckless endangerment and carrying a pistol without a permit, sheriff's spokesman Chad Tucker said.

Alabama State Troopers called the Sheriff's Office at 5 p.m. Monday after witnessing the end of a chase between Smith and Alden Thornton of North Carolina.

Thornton, who was towing the boat, and Smith, who was chasing him, both "flew into the median" of Dauphin Island Parkway, near Interstate 10, Tucker said.

"A trooper had actually witnessed Edmund Smith beating a .45-caliber pistol against the window in his vehicle," Tucker said, adding that Smith was "tapping the gun on the window toward" Thornton.

Thornton had repossessed the boat from Smith, Tucker said. At the scene, however, Smith told authorities that Thornton had stolen the boat from him.

"At the scene on I-10, we were unable to determine who was the rightful owner of the boat, so we impounded it," Tucker said.

A judge later ruled that the boat, a Fountain Tournament Edition with four 250-horsepower engines, belonged to Thornton. Authorities released the vessel to him, Tucker said.

Contacted Wednesday, Thornton declined to comment on the incident.

While the relationship between Smith and Thornton was unclear, both men are involved in sport-fishing tournaments.

Smith was on probation, Tucker said, and "had removed an ankle bracelet to go to a fishing tournament, which he won."

"He also had an active warrant out of Baldwin County for fraud," Tucker said.

Team Hooters, while captained by Thornton, won first place in the pro division of the Kajun Sportsman king mackerel tournament held June 17-18 at Port Fourchon, La., according to reports.

In 1998, Smith pled guilty in federal court to illegally importing a deer that he killed in Canada in 1994. Smith was sentenced by U.S. Magistrate Bert Milling to a year of probation and a $2,500 fine and was forced to hand over the trophy head, a fox hide and a coyote hide to the government.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Nothing to do with any of the events, He sounds like an interesting fellow to hang with, but I hate to see typos in newspapers, on billboards or any other publication. reckless = wreckless.......

quad 250's dang.

·
Hardhead slayer
232 Posts
Argo - be careful, I think you might have it backwards...

From www.m-w.com
reckless

One entry found for reckless. Main Entry: reck·less
Pronunciation: 're-kl&s
Function: adjective
1 : marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences
2 : IRRESPONSIBLE <reckless charges>
synonym see ADVENTUROUS
- reck·less·ly adverb
- reck·less·ness noun

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
tpool said:
They did, but they didn't hit anything (no wreck)........ :rolleyes:
Now, since we are being technical, if I roll my truck three times but don't hit anything, did I have a wreck?:slimer:

Just kidding.:rotfl:

Wreckless might make a good boat name, unless you are superstitious and think it might jinx you.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Yes, because the roof of your truck made impact with the ground which it is not supposed to do. IF you happen to roll and completely flip it without contacting the ground and have no damage while landing back on the tires, then you would be wreckless.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Argo said:
Yes, because the roof of your truck made impact with the ground which it is not supposed to do. IF you happen to roll and completely flip it without contacting the ground and have no damage while landing back on the tires, then you would be wreckless.
And I hope someone gets it on video too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.