2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ITS JUST NEVER EASY
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you hand sharppen your hooks? I bought some new lures for trolling offshore and noticed they are pretty dull! I called my dad and asked him about sharppening them, he said yes always. turns out he has written articles on the subject that have been published in magazines. he said he still has the article somewhere and if and when he finds it i will post it. He has done metallography for nasa for the last 32 years and uses a scanning electron miccroscope. He used the microscope to look at hooks and took some pictures of them before. Then he hand sharppend and honed the hooks at home then place them under the microscope and he says the diffrence is amazing. He uses hand files and hones and puts a three angle grind to them then hand hones. Some hooks come from the factory pretty sharp but most are pretty dull. I took all my new lures and some old ones to his house and replaced a lot of the hooks to begin with, then we put them in a vise and commenced sharppening. When we finished it was amazing how sharp they are. Just wanted to know how many of you guy's do this, and for the people that do not you might want to start! Could be the deciding factor of wether or not you hook that fish of a life time. When he finds the article and pictures i will post them attached to this post. Any other input or other ideas for better tackle rigging would be great! Thanks Hollis!

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
I don't use a vice and a grinder to sharpen my hooks, but I sharpen almost all of them. Owner hooks are about the only ones that come out of the pack as sharp as they ought to be.

So, I sharpen all of my trolling lure hooks, and pretty much all of my circle hooks. Even an Owner needs sharpening after a while.

What you'll notice, however, is that a sharpened hook will rust quickly where it's been sharpened. To fix this, just cover the file-affected area with a sharpie. The ink actually protects the metal from oxidation. It works great.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I sharpen all hooks by the box, I also use the diamond point, and polish all file marks til smooth with emery cloth, next I dip them in ande stones speed dip to keep them from rusting, it comes in black, white, and brown. It works a lot better than the old marker trick. I also take a little off the barb and off the sides around the barb area to penetrate bone better.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I take paint stir sticks and glue strips of wet dry sand paper to it, coarse on one side and fine on the other. After making the angles with a stone or file the stir stick really makes it a sharp smooth point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts