2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Eyes Or No Eyes...that Is The Question

I've caught fish on lures with eyes and without eyes...I've caught fish on jigs with eyes and without eyes...I do believe that lure action is most important than having 2 eyes or better yet 6 eyes like I've seen on certain offshore lures...Lure eyes catch fishermen not fish.

Anthony
Ace Fishing Lures

PS-All my lures have spaded eyes

·
Registered
858 Posts
lures

Howdy,
There's always the story of the guy fishing Bisbee's last century who was pulling a big door knob to look back and see a large dorado chasing it and eating it...the fight is on and then they look back to see that a 990+ lb Marlin is chasing the dorado! The marlin ends up eating the dorado tail first, then chokes and is brought to gaff in just a few minutes - they end up winning the Bisbee. I think he took the money and started up the Picante sport fishing fleet there in Cabo.

Marlin will go through a school of baitfish very fast, slashing with it's bill. This will wound some of the prey, then the billfish will circle around and eat at leisure - head first. Eating tail-first apparently can be deadly.

In another instance, back in 1999, there was a large Black brought to the scales. The marlin was hung by the tail rope to be weighed. The weighmaster noticed that the fish's mouth was taped shut with electrical tape, as was many of the fish brought in. Arbitrarily, he took out a pocket knife and cut the tape - the marlin's mouth opens up and a 48" dorado fall out on the dock! It's throat was slashed, presumably in the manner described above. Apparently, the big girl wasn't satiated and ate the guy's lure. I made an 8' long Gyotaku print of the marlin (dorsal to bill) behind the dorado as if it were chasing it - impressive to know that 48" fish was once inside that billfish.

How this relates to lures having eyes, I don't know, but it is what it is.

All the best,
Tom

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tom do you still do

Gyotaku prints??? I have always love them and actually saved several frozen to try it but I have never gotten to doing it. I can't imagine an 8 foot marlin on rice paper. Maybe I will try it this summer.

-Cp

·
Registered
189 Posts
re: big mikes

This is a one ove I made for teaser just under 3" dia. x 3"

with six 5/16" tubes. The smoke trail from this lure is awesome. If you would like one p.m. as i made a template of the insert.

Twice if has been picked up by large wahoo, both times the fish leaped at the transom with lure in mouth, only to have it yanked out as it came tight on stern cleat. both times the agrivated fish hit stinger lure.

my most productive lure is only 1" dia. x 2.75" with no eyes in head, eyes on skirt some with smoke tubes .

another lure maker oten overlooked but one of my favorites is polukai.

fathom

·
Site Sponsor
573 Posts
Fathom, I like peters lures and he is bnack in business with some strange looking but I would guess very effective soft lures.
I'm surprised you haven't run that as a live teaser. It must be an awsome smoke mahine.
I would bet a big blue would want to pull that one right out of the propwash.
BigMike

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.