2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Stop Global Whining
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to watch a coast guard video on the new homeland security regulations at work. It might be old news to you but it was all knew to me, here is a few things that could be interesting to offshore people.
1.Must stay 100 yards from any commercial ship including cruise liners.
This includes ships anchored waiting for pilot that we always trolled by looking for ling and mahi outside of freeport port.
2. Must stay 100 yards from any military vessel. They have their on protection.
3.If these distance can not be done you must contact vessel on ch 16 and ask for permission.
4. Must stay 500 meters from any oil platform (rig). Why use yards for one reg and meters for another reg. I don't understand.
The fines were stiff around $3 grand and jail time. He did say it does make a differants if your putting by trolling fishing lines or speeding towards a ship. The fine could be justified on how threaten you were to the complainer.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Was item #4 talking about all oil platforms? I know that you said all but there was a big stink over them trying to implement this a couple of years ago and I thought that enough fishermen raised He!! to kill it. There was also talk about limiting this to facilities that had more than 50 personnel on board and/or produced more than 100,000bbls a day?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts