2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's nice to be home after a 3 week stay @ ST. Lukes after catching vibrio July 10 @ San Luis Pass. It took 5 surgeries to get all the dead flesh out of my arm.
Now they have a wound vacuum pump on my arm and it's starting to heal a lot faster. I have some pictures of the wound my wife took @ the Hosp. and I will post them later.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Wow, glad your on the mend. But I had no idea that anyone had got this at the pass recently.

July the 10th huh. Wasn't that when we were having a lot of fresh water run off.

I have fished that area amost every weekend this summer, scary.

·
Premium Member
23,848 Posts
It's good to hear you are on the way to recovery. I never liked getting out of the boat to catch fish, and after this won't even consider it. If there is anything I can do to help, please ask.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I'm not sure I want to see wound pics, but I am glad you're home and on the mend. Did you have an open wound or cut yourself wading? Are they planning any more surgeries or reconstruction? If it's too personal I understand.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Wow. A friend said there was a case in Galveston and I argued against it. All of the news coverage was on Port O'Connor. Did you fish down there also? I am sure glad to hear that you made it through. Sorry for the lousy experience. Now I am a little leary myself.

FC

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery, hope all turns out well.

Man, shark attacks, flesh eating bacteria, I was thinking about spending more time wading in the future but I think I'll stay in the Kenner and drink my cold beer!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Man, So Glad To Have You Back....

Azurefine69 said:
It's nice to be home after a 3 week stay @ ST. Lukes after catching vibrio July 10 @ San Luis Pass. It took 5 surgeries to get all the dead flesh out of my arm.
Now they have a wound vacuum pump on my arm and it's starting to heal a lot faster. I have some pictures of the wound my wife took @ the Hosp. and I will post them later.
Hope healing doesn't take too long. One thing I'd like to ask of you, if you don't mind, is to give us as much detail as to how it started, how big or what kind of type wound it entered into your arm and tell us something basically all about how and what happened. Was the water off-colored, was it unusually hot, did the water smell....did you get a headache first and then throw-up? What did the Doctor say? etc., etc. Remember, you are the first person on this board to have had this s*** so your gonna' be on in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1! Don't lose your good sense of humor. Thanks In Advance, From All Your Friends Here At TTMB....ComeFrom?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Save the pics bro!

We don't want to see them. Hope you are doing better.

And to think I have fished the Pass about 15 times this summer. And the last time I got a hook jammed into my thumb by some silly trout trying to throw my plug. Veeeeeerrrrrrrry comforting.

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
some dont want to see the picts, but my daughter, who is a MA, and i do! :eek:
like comefrom said, we would appreciate all the details also.....first symptoms, what to watch out for, all that kind of stuff. my daughter works for a doctor, and they have had a lot of people coming in that are concerned about this. if you dont want to put the pictures up here, would you e-mail them to us? [email protected]. we are very thankful that you are getting better! and thank you for the info!

trudy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As for the questions that's fine. Channel 11 did a story on July 15th that I thought was very lacking and not too informative for the fisherman. I'm probably more susceptible to the Bacteria than the average person. My immune system is down since I take anti-rejection medicine for a liver transplant that I had 2 1/2 years ago. A friend of mine and I went and fished at Sea Wolf Park the saturday night July 10th., in his boat he has rigged up with lights for night fishing. We must have caught over 100 specks but everything was small. We packed up and headed down toward San Luis Pass about 6 am, I had read they were catching some fish on the flats behind the Pass. The wind was calm and the water looked pretty good. we drove around for a while and my friend wanted to fish in the surf on the other side of the pass (Surfside). There was a lot of sea weed and I was going to take a nap in the truck. I told him if he started catching anything whistle and I would come out. He whistled after about 5 or 10 min and I got dressed and waided out. I wasn't very happy when I got out there and asked about the fish and he told me it was a false alarm, he had gotten into some Gafftop. I stayed out maybe 20 minutes and decided to go back to my nap in the truck.

After I got some dry clothes on and layed down I thought I had a mosquito bite on the forearm. We headed home and about 1/2 back I thought mosquito bites don't itch this long and it seemed to be swelling. I asked my friend if he thought it might be a spider bite.
I showed it to my wife when I got home and we decided to just keep an eye on it. It continued to swell to about 1-1/4" by Monday Morn and that afternoon it formed a small blister about the size of a pencil eraser, I started feeling bad and the area was turning red.
We decided to go to St. Lukes Emergency. I had a temp. of 102. They did a blood culture and got a culture on the blister also. They said they were going keep me there and put me on 3 types of anti-biotics and if it was what they tought it was 2 of them would work to kill the bacteria causing the infection but they might have to open my arm up to see if it had killed any tissue.
The area was geting larger and tuesday they took me to surgery and opened my arm and took out quite a bit of dead flesh and I had Vibrio Vulnificus. We discussed the ways of contracting it and I did not have any open wounds and my best guess was that a wave must have hit me and some of the sea weed scratched my arm but that's just a guess.
So far I've had 5 surgeries and they have me on a vacuum pump that helps the closure and healing of the wound so they wont have much skin grafing to do and less scarring. A home health care nurse will come to my house 3 times a week to change the dressing and keep and eye on the wound.
My transplant doctor and the infectuous disease dr told me try not to wade in the very hot month's ie:July,Aug,Sep. or when I have any open wounds and to always wear waders, boots and long sleeve shirts.

Thanks for thr prayers and good wishes,
Dave

Attachments

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
that looks bad but I am glad you are home and things are getting better. I am not sure if this is the place to ask this but all of the Vibrio Vulnificus infections have come from waders. I was wondering what the chances are when fishing offshore. Everytime I fish I get finned or small cuts snapper gill plates, etc...... Should I be pouring bleach or alcohol on every hands are the time. Or should I be pretty safe being that my immune system seems to be in good shape.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Really sorry for the experience but good to know your on the mend, However I have a friend who was also a liver transplant patient about two years ago I believe and he was told to not even think about wading and warned to minimize any contact with the water period. He takes several precautions one being to never wade agian. I am surprised you werent fully and completly warned not to have much contact with the water being a liver transplant patient yourself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts