2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
You talking to me?
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will deer share a feeder with hogs or just move on to another one?

Or coming from the other direction will a big old porker run a deer off from "his" meal ticket?

I have one feeder that has a huge bruiser visiting it, got one good look at him last spring before he went nocturnal and he looked to be all of 300lbs or more. I have been bow hunting another stand for some venison, but I'm wondering if I need to turn my attention back to getting rid of him.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Deer will usually leave when the hogs show up. That's one benefit to feeding a larger are, especially if it is spread laterally along a trail or sendero. The deer will give way to the hogs but usually come back to another area of the corn.

Of course, if you are bowhunting it does not really help to spread them out like that.

·
TxDuSlayer
4,771 Posts
Deer don't want to have anything to do with hogs! So many hunts were ruined by the famous pineywoods rooter when I used to hunt East Texas. I'am battling this probelm now where I hunt at in Gonzales, a few weekends ago I shot a huge black russian boar! I still have 5 big boars on camera that are roaming the ranch along with the brothers & sisters. I' am hoping with a few extra feeders out the deer can feed where the hogs are not.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Most of the hogs on my place close to Hondo seem to come to the feeder closer to the time when it gets dark. So I have moved my feedings a little further from dawn and dusk. I think it helps but cant say for sure. I can say I have never seen both at the same time.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
the hags will keep the deer run off or at least that has been my experience, they will also trash out your feeders if they get the chance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I hunted a canyon in Concan and when I had deer eating at the feeder sometimes they would look up and start running. I wondered at first what the heck did they get my wind and then all of the sudden here comes a group of hogs. My experience is they don't mix.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hogs and deer

I have seen many times when hogs and deer eat at the same time under a feeder. I also seen bucks chace hogs of the corn. To keep the hogs from visiting the feeder I feed later in the morning and early in the afternoon. You will see some hogs but not as many.

·
Registered
542 Posts
On the average deer will not eat at a feeder with hogs.. The deer may stay out on the fringe.. A hog won't leave a feeder, on his own, untill he has eatin every piece of corn. Shoot the hogs if you want to keep deer coming in...

Mike

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
luisvetrano said:
I have seen many times when hogs and deer eat at the same time under a feeder. I also seen bucks chace hogs of the corn. To keep the hogs from visiting the feeder I feed later in the morning and early in the afternoon. You will see some hogs but not as many.
One of our cameras is on a feeder that's throwing @ 4:30.

For about 10 days stright, those hogs were there between 6:00 and 6:10 every day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts