2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it's time for me to get serious about getting my hog population down. I know there are plenty of you with guns, will travel, etc. Seen it, heard it a million times. What I'm hoping to get in this thread is trap instructions/directions (maybe even material lists) for the figure 6 trap or the heart trap. I need to take out dozens to hundreds of hogs efficiently prior to planting season. I don't need any help killing them, but I do need some direction on trap construction. Thanks in advance!

·
http://morrisontaxidermy.com/
316 Posts
I've got one like the ones listed on Craig's list. I can always catch 2 or 3 soon after putting the trap out and then it sets for months without any action. I would like to see some plans, pictures and stories about "big" traps also.

Thanks,
james

·
Registered
124 Posts
We just use cattle panel with hog panels weld on to them. Also the cattle panels have been cut down a little to let any deer jump out of it. They are about 4.5 to 5ft tall. Then we normally secure them to the ground with t-post one in the middle and two at each end of the pannel. I like to find a place were we can hang a feeder over pen. We bought our trap doors from bucees just north of hunstvillie. It works good we have caught up to 20hogs at one time. The trick is to get the hog comeing in and out and eating when the feeder goes off. after a while just set the trap and you should be good to go. use just corn and use a trail cam if you have one to see what you have coming in and to help you make adjustments to your trap or pen. Also make a shut to load you hogs out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Friend made two in one with hog panels. He made like tear drop so could load easier, and made circle trap inside to catch and hold sow for boars. He caught 49 at one time. He used swing gates with large spring and ran sucker rod from gate to tire and filled with corn so when rooted tire would trigger gate. Feeder was put inside small pen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Build the 6 out of horse panel, T-post, and wire. How much of each depends on how big you want to build it. Where the last panel closes/overlaps to make the bottom of the 6, attach a length of cord to the "open" edge of the panel, tie the other end to a partial bag of corn, pull the trap open and bury the bag of corn a couple of feet down in the center of the trap. Pour some corn on top of where this is buried. The hogs do the rest. Good luck.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
One thing I found out on the figure6 is NOT to put ANY corn close to the entrance. I did this and the hog started eatn and rootn just on the inside of the 'free' panel so much he had a pile of mud 6" up on the panel so it wouldn't open for the rest. Will bait again in the >>center<< this week and see what happens...WW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts