2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some help.. We have a new lease this year and yesterday was the first time I've been able to make it down to pull the pictures off the cameras. The feeders have only been up for 2 weeks and cameras the same. I had one with 960 pictures on it and the other had 540. Almost all were hogs. One of the cameras showed deer walking around the pin (when the hog were there), but wouldn't get in. Didn't have any pictures with hogs and deer at the same time in the pens. I have never had hogs on any other lease so I don't know anything about them really. I can tell you by the pictures there is WAY to many. I'm talking like groups of 20 or so.. Will they keep the deer away? Do they scare the deer off the place? What should I do (besides shoot them all)? There were feeder pens on the place already that we are using and they are just going under the fence. Do I need to build new feeder pens using hog panel to keep them away from the feeders? We drove up on one of the feeders before we left yesterday to put the card back in the camera and the pen was full of pigs. I did have my gun with me and was able to take care of one. Had 3 bullets, first two were misses,,, last one connected with a 60ish # black sow. I will post some pictures later today or tonight.

I would just like to know what to expect or what should I be doing??

·
Football MNC: '63, '69, '70, 2005
2,829 Posts
It has been my experience that the deer and hogs don't like each other. I rarely, if ever, have personally seen hogs and deer at the same feeders at the same time. We use hog paneling around feeders to keep them out and shoot every hog I can.. seems to work ok... Remember, the land can only sustain so much wildlife/domestic life..

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have been on several leases with this problem. There is no easy answer to your question. You can try and improve you pens, which will help...but they will find ways to get in eventually. You can shoot all you see. You can trap. You can buy some good pork cook books. You can take friends and kids (this is what I did on the last one).

You can also only feed in the morning after the hogs have bedded and not at night, this will give the deer a better chance at the corn.

If the hogs are as plentiful as you say, it will probably never be a "great" deer lease unless you fix the problem.

Sometimes hogs will just seem to move on and you will see less of them, I would not count on this to happen though.

Good luck.

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
Trap & Sell them ALIVE

over 1400 pictures in 2 weeks?? Wow. trap them and sell them. a place in Jourdanton buys live pigs. Have a freinds son who traps and sells them all the time. Pays for your traps quickly. And at todays corn prices... whew. If you intend to try selling them(Alive) PM me and I'll get you the info.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
We have hogs on our place that this is our 8th year in the Texas panhandle. We have ferral hogs, Russian strain and even javilina. Our first year I counted 63 hogs one day at my feeder. I can promose you they are going to mess with your deer. I speak from experience and first hand knowledge. Deer and hogs do not go together. The hogs will even bite at the deers lower legs. I have seen them try. If a deer gets bitten he is most likly going to die. Deer do not have doctors and infection from the hogs mouth and just from the wound will end up killing the deer over time. I have watched the javilina which was about 30lbs chase off 200 lb hogs just snapping his teeth.

The good news I would rather eat a hog than deer. They are awesome eating and you should eat everyone you shot.

Ok, our first year we did not see a lot of deer because of the hogs. I shoot at least one for 8 weekends in a row. Sometimes when you put enough pressure on them they will go to night feeding and not show in the day. This will help with feeding the deer and having more deer around.

You do need to start traping and trap as many as you can. Remember hogs reproduce several times in one year. Also there offspring start to reproduce in there first year. So the problem is compounded.

TRap them, hunt them and try and disrupth there life sytle as much as possible. Traping is the only way to take care of a large population.

What happened on our place was that we finally had so many that the land could not sustain them. We also had a drought and one of our ponds dried up. They have to have water. So we had a big die off of pigs on our place. Thus the last two years we had more deer than ever before. Last year I only saw and killed two hogs. Yes there where some out at night but that was ok. Man I was covered up in deer last year.

This year we are already seeiing groups of 4-10 all over our place. So, it looks like they are returning again. Time to start traping and eating lots of pork again.

As far as panels go like was said you are wasting your time. They will dig under or otherwise get in your pins.

I would recommend that you anchor down your feeders or when your feeders run low they will turn them over and tear them up. We use t-posts and wrap in wire.

so, in closing, enjoy the hogs eat well, put the pressure on them and don,t look for great deer hunting on any feeder pins. You might try planting food plots or have other places to hunt. I will say that while we did have so many hogs on our place my son did shoot a 166 class 13 point but it was not over a feeder. Hunt feeders for hogs and hunt other places for the deer until they are thinned out.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
build yourself some big permanent 6 or heart shaped trap withalot of posts and panels so you have a 30' or so trap interior, then show up early morn and wear em out with a carbine

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Had the same issue many years ago when I first started hunting in Robertson county. Shoot all you can, trap and sell, what ever it takes to thin them out. You can run dogs as Deerhunter280 suggested but if your place is small, I would be careful doing it this close to deer season. Dogs will usually cross a fence if they are on the trail and your neigbors may not appreciate it.

Once you thin the hogs, you will start seeing results in your deer herd. It took me 5 - 6 years but it has paid off.

If you want some easy shooting to kill a bunch of them, here's what we do... Lay corrigated metal on the ground and pour corn on it every night for a few nights. the hogs will get used to walking on it. On about the 4th night, gather a bunch of buddies in a few pickups and park near the metal. Sit in the dark until you hear them walking on the tin. Turn on the headlights and cut loose.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It might be to late to do much before this season but come mid jan after the season is over you could have a 2cool hog hunt with prizes all the pork you can carry =)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts