2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hookin Aint Easy!!!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put up some fairly cheep lights on my feeder to snipe some of those black hairy corn thiefs. Anybody have any recomidations?:confused:

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
I use Malibu lights...built a wooden box with treated lumber and sealed the seams with silicone. Works really well. I bolstered it to the tree and the lights are bright enough that you can really see well on the darkest of night. The solar panel also charged them up real nice and there was PLENTY of cord length to plant the solar high up in the tree.

Attachments

·
mortgage banker
917 Posts
i used led trailer lights from academy. they are sealed and do not eat up the battery. i just wired them up under my feeder and turn them on when i am at the lease. i thought about getting a 12v photocell and wiring it up to come on everynight, but haven't needed to.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
same as above. I bought some yard lights and mounted them to the top of the feeder and put the solar panel on top of the feeder. I used green mylar to cover the lenses of the lights. Cost under $30.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use those solar powered security lights and they seem to be working great so far! I have even experimented with other color bulbs like red and green. They are a lot cheaper than those ready made hog light kkits.

·
You talking to me?
1,603 Posts
What do Y'all think of these? I might just get a set or 2 and ring the bottom of the feeder with them. Might work better with just the red and blue bulbs but I'm thinking that after a few nights the critters will get used to it and ignore the light anyway.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...productId=100676459&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

The other alternative are these
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...tId=64-30383-LV65116BK&detail=desc&lpage=none

This might work better as far as varmints are concerned, mount a couple on the bottom of the feeder directly with the solar panel sticking out, no wires to be pulled by the Raccoons.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
I use Malibu lights...built a wooden box with treated lumber and sealed the seams with silicone. Works really well. I bolstered it to the tree and the lights are bright enough that you can really see well on the darkest of night. The solar panel also charged them up real nice and there was PLENTY of cord length to plant the solar high up in the tree.
I use the same setup... you gave me the idea last year...LOL Thanks! Works great.

·
Proud Navy Father AND Grandfather
9,095 Posts
You still have these? If so , we need to take them to my beer lease when we go and knock the heck outta them a couple of weeks into January! I know we have some pigz that will hit the 400#mark easily!

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
You still have these? If so , we need to take them to my beer lease when we go and knock the heck outta them a couple of weeks into January! I know we have some pigz that will hit the 400#mark easily!
I sure do...planning on making another set here this wkend if I can get my lazy self up...they work great! I'll go ahead and start charging the solar panel.

Thanks Haute! Glad they're working out for you bud!

·
Hookin Aint Easy!!!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas fellas. Good luck in the field and for god sake KEEP THE BEER COLD!

·
Jacka$$ Moment
848 Posts
I bought a set of LED lights with a solar panel and battery from Lowe's for about $35 and then mounted them on a 2" PVC pipe and mount them to a "T" post. It comes with 3 lights with 3 LEDs per light. With a good enough scope, you don't need to put up 2 sets. I don't have them in the woods right now, but will put them out there right after deer season. Here are a couple of pics of mine. Good luck

Dook

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
built two of these over the holidays. they work great. the hoggies get a little nervous the first few times the light comes on, but they get over it.

treated 2x4s
solar motion lights with battery (lowes or home depot)
t-post
misc bolts, screws....
camo paint

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use a security light with motion detecor hooked up to a 115 car inverter, which plugs into a cigartte lighter plug with battery cables to a 12 volt battery. The rest is history as long as they show up they will be lit up twice if you understand what i am saying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts