2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone built an l.e.d. light for a hog light?
do you have any plans for that light?
I'm looking to build a couple and have seen several websites that offer free plans but it becomes a hassle because they want you to post too many times before you can get the plans or something else. so , it's not really free.
i just need a plan and a supplier for parts. if you got pics, that would be nice too.
thanks

·
Kids, Surf, Fish, Golf.....
613 Posts
What has worked for us, is just using solar powered landscape lights from HD or Lowes. We attach them to the T-posts around the feeder. Give the hogs some time (couple weeks) and they will be totally oblivious to them. The lights don't give off a ton of light but more than is needed to pick off a few hogs.

Another idea that I have seen is people that have used a old surplus ammo can, gel cell, boat trailer light (harbor freight), solar panel to recharge gel cell.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What has worked for us, is just using solar powered landscape lights from HD or Lowes. We attach them to the T-posts around the feeder. Give the hogs some time (couple weeks) and they will be totally oblivious to them. The lights don't give off a ton of light but more than is needed to pick off a few hogs.

Another idea that I have seen is people that have used a old surplus ammo can, gel cell, boat trailer light (harbor freight), solar panel to recharge gel cell.
X2 or you could go buy some sweet night vision!!! My neighbor has some he bought off a guy that took them from the army years ago and they are awsome!:smile:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one of those landscape lights but it just isn't enough light. I need something I can make for myself and that throws light out at least 20-30 feet.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I made on that works pretty good. I tried the lawn lights and was not satisfied with light output. The principal idea of solar power and on/off at dark was good though. So, I went on ebay and found a 36 led 12 volt light bulb (around $10). Then I found a photo switch that would turn on at night and off during daylight. Hooked them up to a 12 volt battery that came out of a toy 4 wheeler my grandson and installed in a ammo can I got at army surplus. Hooked up regular deer feeder solar panel and it works great. I placed this on a pole about 10 foot high and I get a nice (not bright) light circle about 6-7 foot wide and can see movement 10-12 foot wide. This is near deer feeder.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
light

Redduck , do you have a pic, link or specs for that 36 led light? How did you connect the light to the photo switch and so forth. Can you be specific cause i aint too good with electrical stuff.
Thanks

I made on that works pretty good. I tried the lawn lights and was not satisfied with light output. The principal idea of solar power and on/off at dark was good though. So, I went on ebay and found a 36 led 12 volt light bulb (around $10). Then I found a photo switch that would turn on at night and off during daylight. Hooked them up to a 12 volt battery that came out of a toy 4 wheeler my grandson and installed in a ammo can I got at army surplus. Hooked up regular deer feeder solar panel and it works great. I placed this on a pole about 10 foot high and I get a nice (not bright) light circle about 6-7 foot wide and can see movement 10-12 foot wide. This is near deer feeder.

·
US Army Aviation NSDQ!
3,716 Posts
We use flood lights like you would attach to your garage. Runs off a 12v battery, motion sensor, and a solar panel. Works great.

·
Expert Boy, Apprentice Grownup.
526 Posts
Walmart has a LED tent light in the camping section. It's 8 bucks....with batteries. I use 2-sided tape to stick it to the bottom of my timer/motor, but it comes with a clip that'll hang it on a rope or wire.

It'll run all night and then some, but you have to turn it on and off by hand. It's plenty bright to smoke hogs by. Brighter than moonlight, anyway.

Lance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts