2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter from the City of Houston offering to let me renew my license for a fee. FOR WHAT??? The City bailed when they had a chance to stop State licensing, now they want me to pay for a license renewal for a license that has no value or standing in the marketplace. What am I missing? Maybe a way to fatten up pensions?

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
that's a registration fee, and you can thank your state legislature for that. Every city can now charge you a yearly fee to "register" your state license. It came down in the same legislation that allows them to charge between $500 and $2000 for working without a permit instead of the double permit fees they used to charge. It's all about making money.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
If you have a State Contractors License you'll need a Houston card to get a permit for work inside the city limits. We will no longer have to pay fees to keep the Houston license up. With the contractors license you can get a city license in any city of Texas any time you need it. So they can expire as long as you don't let your state license expire.
We have a state master license and a state contractors license. You must have a state master license before you can obtain a contractors license. So you have to keep the state master license going or you will have to retest.
What surprises me is houston stopped registering journeymen. They could rake in some money with those fees.

Biggie:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is in addition to the fees for the State license. It appears to be a money grabber for the COH. While I no longer master for the company I work for, I continue to keep up the license. There are still some legal challenges out there, but I'm not holding my breath that anything will come of it. Both the IBEW and IEC betrayed their local membership by not standing up against the legislation in 2003. I suspect that the COH just needs more revenue (which by the way is getting ready to go up dramatically through permit fees attached to the value of work, much like structural permits work.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts