2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing in the pocket off 15th street on Bolivar Penn. about 30 before sundown, when my leg was nailed by something big and fast. It felt like I was kicked in the wade booty, and kicked hard. As I screamed like you know what, I felt it brush by my other leg, and this was followed by a tail thrash behind me. I did not see the tail just heard it. Then I hauled arse towards the shore amidts all the tubulent water. Would a shark headbut the back of my foot without taking a nip? Do porpoise do this. It could not have been a large red, it just hit to hard. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what it was?

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Man, I sometimes get jumpy when some seaweed brushes against the back of my leg. I couldn't imagine getting rammed by a USO. (unidentified swimming object). I'd be walkin' on water. I think it was probably a shark chasing bait, and you just happened to be in the way. I've never heard of a shark ramming someone on purpose.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
You might try posting this on the shark board. Some of those guys are marine biologists and can tell you about behavior. Glad it decided to tenderize rather than dig in! Yikes.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,502 Posts
I have been brushed many times before in the surf and have no idea whatsoever as to what "they" might have been. I tell myself that they were all redfish but only "it" and God know what it was for sure! I usually end up going back to the truck for a smoke and "drink", you know, to take the edge off! I have also seen huge schools of rays and sharks as big as 5-6 feet swim within 10 feet of me. That sure makes the pucker factor go off the charts!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Without a visual or a mark left on you, will be almost impossible to tell. I wouldn't discount a large bull red though or shark, or (insert other large, inshore fish here).

Just glad you can still count all your fingers and toes!

·
Healthy spine= tight lines
239 Posts
Its agood thing he gave a love tap, than a ove kiss, even porpioses have some pretty sharp teeth

·
Just call me JJ
7,592 Posts
Sharks do chase bait and are very aggressive when doing so, so that's my vote. It wasn't attacking you obviously because it would have bitten. If it was a dolphin you'd have seen it surface for air going away and I'm not sure they'd be that shallow without being noticed easily.

·
Old School 2cool
8,271 Posts
3 or 4 summers ago I got hit / rammed / bumped, whatever you want to call it by a young Bull Shark on PINS. I was castnetting for bait in the wadegut. The water was sanded over pretty good that day and visibility was, well, nada. I saw a lot of "nervous" bait action on the surface and threw at it. About that time I felt the contact just below my right kneecap! It felt like a baseball bat (wrapped in snandpaper) had just been laid to my upper shin. Dang near knocked me down! I removed myself (and my kids!) from the water and that area real quick like. Closer inspection of my leg revealed a small injury that looked like carpet burn. To this day I dont know who was more surprised; me or the shark? It happens. tight lines, Guy

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
sounds like you had a run in with a shark. they were out in full force this weekend. check the shark board for reports.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
I got hit one time by a jack....scared the #@&* out of me. I was fishing around a pod of mullet and was sure it was a shark (just how my sick mind works). He was swimming full speed and brought me to my knees...knocked him out...as he was floating next to me. It's funny now...but my fishing for that day was OVER. LOL

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Bump in the Booty

It has not happened to me but in my 40+ yrs...I'd guess it was a shark....I think
I'd look real close at the 'wade booty' to see if it had any unusual abrasions...
that might give you some more clues or may not....
I'd definately thank the Good Lord...Cause there a plenty of big teeth looking for
exercise in the Gulf right now...
Mustad7731

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard that sharks brush/bump against something just to see what it is and if it will hurt them. If they get no reaction, well....
I'd say you were pretty lucky or the fisherman in the sky was smiling at you & just wanted to see what kind of reaction there would be., especially right before dark. Seriously, I'd say it was a shark and glad we didn't read all about it in the paper.
schu

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,393 Posts
Could have been any number of fish. I have been hit by blue fish, bull reds, sharks, and many others in the surf. A bull red will take your legs from you if he is in a hurry. If the fish rubbed your skin and did not feel like sandpaper it was not a shark. All insohre fish will chase bait and will run into you if you are in the way. Mullet and other bait will also use you as cover, even going up your shirt if you are deep enough. Either way glad you were not hurt.

Amost forgot cownose rays have been very thick in the surf this year around bolivar. They are in the mood for love and will plow you over if you are in the way.

·
You got girlfriend Vietnam?
1,890 Posts
Probably a shark bro... Porpioses you would probably have seen before or after the hit coming up for air or playing around.

·
fish control my brain
7,764 Posts
SHARK !!!

Porpioses use their sonar and well as dolphins

Shark are known to bumb prey to see what happens

You were lucky....

But, "I would rather be lucky than good" on any given day

·
Registered
372 Posts
probably a red or jack. same thing happen to me while I was wading chest deep water. A large school of medium to large size mullet was getting harrassed about 50 yards behind me. I did not think anything of it, until I see a ton of mullet jumping around me and over my shouders, next thing I know something big hit me square in my back, almost knocked the wind out of me. Water was splashing everywhere, then I got tail whipped. Never turned around to try to id the fish, but if it were a shark he would left more than a red mark on my back.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts