2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After this coming season we plan to find a lease in the Hill Country. We are currently hunting in the Madisonville area and paying $1000 per family. We are hoping to be able to find something in the Llano, Burnet, Johnson City area for around the same money. We will be looking for a lease for 6 guns. Our wife and kids must be able to hunt too. What do ya'll think? Are there still leases in that area for $1000 per gun? Those of you that hunt that area now how much are you paying?

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
This is in Leakey

540 acres 2000 a gun

it's more the norm now...

Good Luck...

John

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
We are in the Brownwood area and pay $1,000 each for year round. This is our 5th season and the landowner has told us he has no intent of raising it, other than fluctuating cost of electric, water, etc.

I believe he had some bad experiences with previous hunters and is thrilled with our group. He was sceptical about protein feeding at first but is so impressed with the improved quality of the deer, he showed up one day while we were putting out protein and said he had 1,000 pounds of corn pre paid at the local feed store for us.

Pure luck but there are not many folks left out there like him.

·
WestTexasKid
477 Posts
We hunt Llano co. at $1200 a gun for about 400 acres. No guest priviledges and general gun season and extended doe/spike only. No bow hunt in october. Our year-round access is only for fililn' feeders and camp maintenanace. 5 guns on lease. This actually works for us because after a long deer season, we enjoy the break in the action. We consider ourselves very lucky to hunt great deer country. Lots of luck on your lease quest. Be sure to scour the local newspapers for listings. SA express-news is a good source; thats where I found this deer lease. Rube-out!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Man pricing is not getting any better. It seems like leases are like gasoline these days.... somewhere the pricing will stop ... or not. I've been out for years already...

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
The likelihood of finding a lease at that price with guest privileges is virtually non-existent. The only people in the hill country getting that kind of deal have been on their leases for 20+ years. We have been on our Junction lease for 25 years. When we toyed with the idea of looking elsewhere, we saw the prices and restrictions then bought our landowner and his wife a shrimp dinner.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hill Country Lease

Good luck finding a lease in the hill country for that price.
I hunt in Menard county since 94.we were paying 475 back then
with guest privleges.now its 1000.we are lucky.You probly not
find a lease that allows guests.Good luck...

·
15,099 Posts
$1850 a gun here, but I can bring my boys with me.........10 and 12.
For the amount of land its only 6 bucks an acre but has had the same folks on it for almost 30 yrs.....
I got lucky and got a spot..
When I first started deer hunting in the hill country in 1980 I paid 200 a gun.
and thoght that was high....
It was 2 dollars an acre....
There are cheaper places to hunt.....
But its a long drive.......Iowa and Ohio.
But I have heard of places in the midwest going for some crazy prices as well...
The plague spreads.....that started in texas.

·
15,099 Posts
canvasbck said:
The likelihood of finding a lease at that price with guest privileges is virtually non-existent. The only people in the hill country getting that kind of deal have been on their leases for 20+ years. We have been on our Junction lease for 25 years. When we toyed with the idea of looking elsewhere, we saw the prices and restrictions then bought our landowner and his wife a shrimp dinner.
That sounds like the smart thing to do......
Keep the land owner happy...

·
Gilmore Hunt Club
2,289 Posts
we hunt 375 acres 1250/gun in the hill country, so 1000 per family is really cheap, but also depends on if you can shoot does, one buck vs 2 buck, etc... Isn't Madisonville under antler restrictions and also no does?

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
As a side note, we came upon this place using one of the sponsors on this board indirectly- (Deer Texas). There were a couple of places we had listed to look at. One of them ended up being too far of a drive and 2 others had been looked at and leased earlier in the day.

We spent the evening drowning our sorrows. After breakfast at a local restaurant the next morning, we just happen to ask some locals in the parking lot if they knew of anyone. He gave us a name and within 4 hours, we had toured the place and written him down payment.

There is luck involved.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
canvasbck said:
We have been on our Junction lease for 24 or 25 years also. We also looked around about 4 years ago but could not find anything close to what we have for the money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haute Pursuit said:
We have been on our Junction lease for 24 or 25 years also. We also looked around about 4 years ago but could not find anything close to what we have for the money.
What part of Junction are you in? I'm on Fort McKavitt Rd.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
canvasbck said:
What part of Junction are you in? I'm on Fort McKavitt Rd.
We are on the North Llano river just south of I-10 about 4 miles east of Roosevelt. I would bet we have bumped into each other if you've been there that long...LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts
We hunt 6 people on 500 acres for $1200 south of Mason. Only family privleges are sitting in the stand with you and watching. Been on the lease for 5 years. One of the guys placed an ad in the local paper and had a few owners call him to take the tour. Previous hunters almost ruined the place so the owner was really looking for replacements. Just being in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My group of guys hunt off of Hwy 16 and CR 113 south of Llano.We have 1100 ac. with year round access.There are all kinds of exotics in the area and we have some good wt deer.Our lease is 2000.00 yr w/ exp. We have had this lease for 5 yrs now.
It is without no doubt the best all-around lease I've been on.Good luck with your search.

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,571 Posts
6 families up here in the hill country IMHO is gonna require at least 1500-2000 acres which typically will go for $10/acre and up. You might find something cheaper, Good Luck, and keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts