2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ,,,, Any Of You Fellers Get Any Rain This Week,(grin)hartwell Came Up 4 Feet In The Past 24hrs.we're Talking About A 56,000 Acre Lake.man It's Rainned So Hard.i Bet You Tenn. Boys Are Gonna Be Fishing In The Corn Feilds Again.just Remember To Use A Rod And Reel Because Thats The Only Way To Claim A Record. Lol. Just Be Safe If Any Of You Do Go Out ,high Waters= Big Trees,big Logs,and Anything Else That Floats.,,,,,,,,,,,,,but The Sun Will Shine Again And Come Friday Night I Will Test These Waters Once Again.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Richmond, Va. got 12-14" of rain from "Tropical Depression Gaston" last week... terrible flooding, several killed as their cars were swept off city streets, and extensive damage to the river bottom area of downtown that has been revitalized of late.... So far, we have been spared large quantities of rain from Frances, but there have been tornado warnings all day, and at least one funnel cloud reported in the vacinity of Charles City County, Va. this afternoon. I haven't listened to the latest weather report, so there may have been more.
My heart goes out to those Floridians, Georgians, Alabamans and all others who have been battered by hurricanes this year. We got pounded by Isabel last fall, and Floyd five years ago, but we've been relatively unscathed so far this season. Ivan is looking like Ivan the Terrible in the south-western Atlantic, with reported deaths on Granada. He's sizing up the Gulf of Mexico as I write these words, and I can bet there won't be a soul happy to see him where ever he makes landfall.... I was thinking there were several areas in either Georgia or Alabama that could really use the rain, but nobody wants to make up for three years of dry weather overnight, especially when the rain comes in 80-100 mile per hours bursts....

Thank God Frances lost strength before making landfall.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You guys can keep all those hurry-canes you want. We don't need ANY. I got an e-mail from my cousin in Pensacola, and she said that it has been hot and sunny for the last few days. We got a small sprinkle from scattered showers Sat morning, but nothing to even settle the dust good for the last two weeks. I know TVA has been expecting a lot of water cause they been droppin the bottom out of the TN river system for a week or so.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Been so much excess water here I can't tell if the water's high anymore or not...kinda gotten used to it.....There's a fine crop of 'Shrooms comin' in,in the backyard...Moss is growin' on the deck...a moister summer I cannot recall.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Tried To Fish This Mess Friday Morning And Friday Night.i Caught A Few Flatheads And A Couple Blues,nothing To Brag On This Week.there's More Huge Trees Floating Out There Than I've Seen In A Few Years.took Off Before Daylight Friday Morning And Managed To Bump One Going Up The River.no Harm Done.if The Fish Gourge Themselves During Rising Water They Sould Be Full.did Any Of You Men Try It This Weekend? It Suppose To Rain Hard Next Week Too.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I went boat and hunting supply shopping Sat, and went to the Gun and Knife show last night and WORKED all day today. I ain't had time to go down to the pool behind the house much less to the lake. Man, when you go fishin all the time, them honey-doos sure do pile up. My wife got my whole week planned for me. And to top all that off, if this dad-blamed bleepity-bleep hurry-cane goes up the east coast instead of crossing the gulf, she wants to go to Houston and Galveston this next weekend. :( Ya'll reckon if I can ditch her off shopping wid my aunt, some of those Texas boys will show me where to catch some flounder?

I kinda wish we HAD some rain. They done started pulling TN river down for the winter drawdown, and my food plots are starting to turn brown.

·
Registered
219 Posts
let me finsh LOL. i got a stock tank about 3 ac. i found out i have a alligator gar. about 4ft, now how do i get rid of him?? all help welcome . lol

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Hooks don't work well with garfish....I've caught a few that way,but the beak is so bony/toothy that some folks use a piece of frayed rope as a lure...tangles them!!But,then,you got a 4' alligator gar on your line...another problem!!;)

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Thought about another novel method...know anybody that bowfishes(bow&arrow/reel)?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well the bowfishing idea is the one that I would have thought of. Ditto with the frayed rope. You might try a piece of wire leader, and whatever he likes for breakfast, just let him swallow the bait.

·
Registered
550 Posts
To tell the truth I was actually thinking .22 Mag from short range, but didn't want all the safety elves to jump out and yell SHAME SHAME SHAME. ;)

BTW, Hawk, you aughta see the new toy I pick up this weekend at the gun show. SWEEEEEETT Ruger .270, stainless, with "red" laminated wood stock, man is she PURTY! And you talk about groups. 100 yard 1/2 in groups with Winchester Fail-Safe's from a bench rest. 1 inch groups at 50 yards on sandbag. I been lookin for that model for a coupla years, and finally found one while I had the cash. She is almost too purty to hunt with.

·
Registered
728 Posts
mudd_catt said:
To tell the truth I was actually thinking .22 Mag from short range, but didn't want all the safety elves to jump out and yell SHAME SHAME SHAME. ;)

BTW, Hawk, you aughta see the new toy I pick up this weekend at the gun show. SWEEEEEETT Ruger .270, stainless, with "red" laminated wood stock, man is she PURTY! And you talk about groups. 100 yard 1/2 in groups with Winchester Fail-Safe's from a bench rest. 1 inch groups at 50 yards on sandbag. I been lookin for that model for a coupla years, and finally found one while I had the cash. She is almost too purty to hunt with.
I figure with a rifle like a .243, you'd still kill the fish even if you miss... concussion...
I've never been a huge .270 Win. fan myself, but for folks who do like 'em, it seems to be more LOVE of the 270 that any loyalty to a cartridge that I've ever seen. I am a big fan of Ruger firearms, and I like the model 77 enough that if someone gave me one in .270 Winchester, I suppose I'd be in love with it too. Those are pretty impressive numbers for factory ammunition. I did a lot of handloading in the day, it it's difficult to get better groups out of good handloads without either a lot of work or luck.... That stainless monster ought to be death on a deer out to about 400 yards or so. Do you get to hunt over bait like they do in Texas? It's illegal here (I hunted over acorns for twenty years... if that's not hunting over bait I don't know what is, but it's legal) to bait deer... I never needed to, but out terrain is a lot different than what I've seen in Texas. We have a lot of open woods and fields. Most of the hunting country (pictures) I've seen where they bait seems to be very dense cover...

I Had a friend (yes it is true) once that used to hunt from a tower he made. It was positioned so that he could see and shoot about 500 yards in any direction. The tower was located on land owned by his uncle and he generally shot deer from there every year. Sometimes he would wait until two deer lined up so he could kill two with one shot. I know it sounds like a lie, but it's true... He used a .300 Weatherby Magnum and could probably have killed three or four at a time if it were legal... The first time he killed two it was pure accident.... then he got the bright idea to TRY to do it, and had quite a bit of success over the years. I have been out of touch with him for ten years or so now, so I have no clue what he's shooting with or at these days.

Most of my "hunting" is done at night, with a crop damage permit, these days. I don't get excited about killing deer like I used to... sore back, too many carcasses hauled out of the woods... who knows... it just doesn't move me like it used to do. If my family liked deer meat more than they do, I'd be inclined to shoot a half a dozen or so deer a year to fill the freezer. We just don't eat that much meat anymore. There's plenty of deer around, and I never had a hard time finding them... I might take up goose hunting again. The "resident" (non-migratory) geese are getting way too overpopulated and somebody needs to do something about that. We used to trade geese for turkeys and such with other states, but we don't need any more turkeys to stosk with, and no one seems interested in our "problem" geese anymore either.... they do tatse good... so I might have to give them a try next fall....

Fingers crossed up here for a good running motor to be picked up Saturday....

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Good luck with the Motor,Hawk...What is it?I don't believe I caught that part.

·
Registered
728 Posts
1984 model Mercury 115 "tower of power" inline 6 with tilt/trim... The guy's transom broke and he didn't use the boat enough *his words* to make it worth fixing it. He told me the motor came from Maine or one of the other New England states, where it was used in fresh water. If all of the above is true (sounds like that little old lady from Pasadena) it shouldn't have many hours on it. I'm planning a trip to Raleigh on Saturday to look at it and but it if it is a good motor. He's told me I can have my money back if I'm not satisfied... something the last guy I bought a motor from didn't even consider, I'm sure..

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Can't go too wrong there...patience has finally paid off.Good for you,dude.:dance:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts