2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a private charter scheduled for our office on a party boat out of Port A.... from my understanding the boat is slow as christmas and will be going about 19 knots....assuming we'll have calm seas, what would be a good lure (s) to drag on the way out?

I've got a few Mylures in 7 oz weight, some wahoo wackers, and a couple of the Billy Bait jets.

I've never pulled these lures that fast, and I'm wondering if they're even going to stay in the water at that speed.

I'm thinking about picking up a few larger (20 oz or so) jets if they'll stay down better

any ideas?

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bevo,

I was checking out the modulures...

You can troll those at 19 knots??? If so.. is 50lb adequate? it seems like you'd get quite a bit of drag pulling those that fast.

·
Registered
884 Posts
don't forget you are going to need to get a lot of line out at that speed and the height. you may want to flatline clip as low as possible.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agulhas said:
don't forget you are going to need to get a lot of line out at that speed and the height. you may want to flatline clip as low as possible.
That's another concern I had...the height from that party boat is pretty high...I think I might bring some kind of release clip set up...

Also, I just got off the phone with Mike 'bigmikes lures"... he's a heck of a nice guy...I'm proabbly going to pick up a couple of the 809's.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Think about what is going to happen if you were to hook a big wahoo while going 19 knots. The line is going to be ripping off the reel at a rate of 19 knots plus whatever the fish is doing. This will happen until you get the boat stopped or at least slowed because you aren't going to get the rod out of the holder until some of the chaos slows down. By this time you are going to have 1/2 mile of line out and unless its all mono so it can do some stretching, I'd say something is going to break, fish jaw, reel, line, or forearm. So, make sure you have big enough tackle to make this quest. Take some pics of this endeavor so we'll all learn and be jealous.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
And, make sure the boat will stop for each piece of weed or garbage you snag. Reeling in all that line, at 19 knots, is going to be a pain. After one or two times, it can be a drag. Perhaps consider a two speed reel, so at least you can downshift, if need be, and grind.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know typically party boats are all about the NUMBERS... but since it's a private charter, and a relatively small group...I'm hoping they'll cater to us a bit more than they normally do.

Valkyrie.... most of these folks that are going have never been saltwater fishing, much less offshore fishing... if I lost a $30 jet to a screaming wahoo... man... that would be $30 well spent!

all these suggestions.....my wife is going to be &)(*@# when she finds out all the itmes I HAD to buy for this "company trip"

LOL!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, the Big Mike lures will fish that fast. I pulled one at 18 - 19 knots last Friday. The comments about reel size, two speeds and line out are all correct.

Oh yeah, I only had one hit. The fish cleaned the skirting clear off and missed the point of the hook.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tpope said:
Yes, the Big Mike lures will fish that fast. I pulled one at 18 - 19 knots last Friday. The comments about reel size, two speeds and line out are all correct.

Oh yeah, I only had one hit. The fish cleaned the skirting clear off and missed the point of the hook.
D'OH.... I wish I'd read that post before rbuying three of them a couple hours ago...LOL....

honestly though... Big Mike was such a cool guy, I was more than happy to buy his lures.

On the point of the skirt getting cleaned off.....are they realtively easy to replace the skirts on? I've had some lures sit in the box after a toothy critter cuts the palstic skirts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I do not know yet. I have yet to tread down that road. I need to contact Mike and discuss it. I really do not imagine that it can be any harder than any other skirt to put on.

·
Site Sponsor
573 Posts
skirt replacement

Hey Tony,
The soft yozuri skirts get hit a lot and they do come off. I have gone back to wiring the skirts on the heads along with glue. Send me the rigs and I will redo them for you.
I am also going to go to a new double hook rig on request that will have a much better catch ratio. Predators go for the eyes by insticnt because bait have to be swallowed head first or it could kill the Amberjack or dodo or other big fish. Small baits don't matter. But big baits are attacked near the head and that's why I stoped putting eyes on the head. They eye is the instinctive target and thats why a skirt can be hit and the hook may be too far from it.
My theory about the double rig there is much less chance of a miss. The single has about a 45% chance of a miss and esspesialy on the 60o type will get more hookups with the close and back hooks at the 60o angle. But that is by request soon. I have concerns with doubles but this new solid rid is much safer then a loose hook.
BigMike.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Kyle,

Wow! You think 19 knots is slow as Christmas? I wish all the party boats out of Port A would go that fast. What boat will you be taking out?

The one thing I'll add to all the advice already given is to check with the captain and see what he thinks of the idea. Sometimes they have a really good plan worked out and don't like to deviate much from it.

About the weed, we trolled Monday afternoon, and the weed was so bad we stopped after less than half an hour. I remember one trip I was on years ago, the captain put one of the rods out and forgot to put the clicker on. We were all sitting around talking and waiting when somebody noticed one of the rods with a 6/0 was jumping all over the place. Turns out we snagged a big piece of grass and took the line all the way to the knot before we noticed. Captain made US reel all that line in even though HE forgot the clicker!

Good luck on your trip, it's been awesome out there.

Tom - DBG

·
Site Sponsor
573 Posts
Agulhas is one of the most capable lure draggers your going to see and his suggestions are on the money. Keeping the lure long and flat is necessary because of the high freeboard on party boats. It's good on a center counsel. Lure head trajectory can cause any lure to track upwards at that speed. It also is good to cool off the swivle.

Also at that speed a lot of fish may come up late in the wake. So longer lures will come up behind them and into thier site.Not lost in the distant wake.

Thanks Kyle and Jeremy, for the kind words.
BigMike

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks for the offer Mike, I just would not feel right sending a lure back for reskirting. A lure that gets chewed on is going to need a little work and I know how.
I really like the Jobu hooks that you use. I do not think that I want a hook with my name on it when I'm handling the gaffing. I'll stick to the single hook.

BigMikes809 said:
Hey Tony,
The soft yozuri skirts get hit a lot and they do come off. I have gone back to wiring the skirts on the heads along with glue. Send me the rigs and I will redo them for you.
I am also going to go to a new double hook rig on request that will have a much better catch ratio. Predators go for the eyes by insticnt because bait have to be swallowed head first or it could kill the Amberjack or dodo or other big fish. Small baits don't matter. But big baits are attacked near the head and that's why I stoped putting eyes on the head. They eye is the instinctive target and thats why a skirt can be hit and the hook may be too far from it.
My theory about the double rig there is much less chance of a miss. The single has about a 45% chance of a miss and esspesialy on the 60o type will get more hookups with the close and back hooks at the 60o angle. But that is by request soon. I have concerns with doubles but this new solid rid is much safer then a loose hook.
BigMike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts