2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember exactly how it was back when I graduated in 1981, but I know it wasn't like it is today. I can't beleive the number of coaches involved in a high school game. Last night I counted seventeen headsets on the bench before the game! Seventeen coaches? Considering some kids play both sides of the ball, that's a coach for every kid. Seems a little overboard to me, but what do I know. BTW, I don't have anything against coaches. In fact, one is my neighbor and another is a very good friend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
**** 17 coaches...what size school was this.....i am a SR at a 1A school and we have 5...head coach/offenseive cord., defensive cord., and then 3 assistants

·
Registered
21 Posts
i play freshman ball. we are 3A and have 7000 people in my whole county. we have a caocj for every postion. d-backs, inside backers, outside backers, d-liners, o-liners, qb's, receivers, tight ends, runnin backs, punt blockers, punt returners, F-goal blockers, f-goal liners, deep snappers/ball holders, punters, f-goal kickers, kick off kickers, kick offers (whats the name for them?), kick off returners, and kick off blockers (recievin side). i belive we have 12 coaches. when we combine our HS and JHS coaches we have about 20. we aint lucky enough to have headsets. just yell real loud gets it odne....JJ

PS-my JettyJumper name doesnt work so im usin thsi handle now.

PPS- i am a strong safety, punt/kick off returner and safty on kick off.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
PS-my JettyJumper name doesnt work so im usin thsi handle now.
It should work, you show up on the members list, are you using the correct password, might want to try several times as your spelling sometimes ain't right.....LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Badhabit said:
It should work, you show up on the members list, are you using the correct password, might want to try several times as your spelling sometimes ain't right.....LOL
i was signed in and have singned in and out several times. i did post onec or twice with the JettyJumper handle but its a little messed up for some unknown reason. the JJ handle wroks perfect............JJ

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
JJ said:
i was signed in and have singned in and out several times. i did post onec or twice with the JettyJumper handle but its a little messed up for some unknown reason. the JJ handle wroks perfect............JJ
Need I repeat.... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
Pretty Cool avatar SenorSheaphead... I like it alot. LOL.
As for the football I used to be a coach.fack i stopped coaching last year. Fact is Texas means football. Two things will get property taxes up, TAKS scores, and Football scores. Typical 5a school will have 10 Highschool coaches, the junior high coaches (6-8), 2 trainers with student staff, plus your support staff. All coaches take on Camera duty, scout duty, work from 4-8 most nights, friday till 1100pm, saturday, and sometimes sunday ( during football season.) All that for a great stipend of 3-5 grand on top of thier teaching duties.
More power to'em. and as long as we keep going to the stadiums to pay to watch our kids, the more we will appriciate or hate the coaches.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
HogHeaven is pretty close in his thread. It depends on the school district and where they put the money. Most coaches teach a core subject and coach two sports, they are paid a stipend for each sport. Years ago someone a pencil to the money vs hours worked and it came out to less than $1.00 per hour. Most high schools require the sub varsity coaches to be on the sidelines or in the box during a varsity game. I have been in the coahing peofession 31 yrs. I have worked in two districts, Galena Park and Pasadena. I am the head coach at Jackson Int. in Pasadena, we have 140 boys in the program and four coaches. My schedule is 7th grade practice 7:30am-9:15am and 8th grade practice 2:30pm-4:30pm. We have four teams to get ready, 7A & 7B, 8A & 8B, we have two game days, practice is everyday. I ask the coaching staff to be on duty at 7:00am and we usually leave around 5:00pm. On game days, its 7:00am-8:00pm. This is the first year in my career that we do not have to scout for the HS. If we did, that would be every Friday or Sat night. The work is hot, tiring, and FUN. It is really great to watch these kids develop and grow into fine young men. The emphasis is on TAKS scores these days but its football were the kids get the structure and attention they need. I remember two individuals in my life, my father and my coaches.

·
H3 Titanium the ultimate in rod design.
646 Posts
I played a little ball at LaPorte we were elevated to 4AAAA status in 74 at that time 5AAAAA did not exist.

We had a new coach and the staff was full of coachs, the first meeting we had with the new head coach he showed us a film of his last team playing in the state championship game and he said watch this guy carry the ball this is what I want to see, you will all come to know him in the future and yes we all have. I still go and watch on Fridays and the staff is bigger now than ever.

I grew up in Ballinger Texas out in West by god Texas and Friday nights were the night of the week during football season and we had maybe three coachs playing 2AA ball and it was a much bigger community event than anything I see today in any classification in the Houston area, we regularly traveled more fans for away games than the home team had.
They redid their little stadium (by Houston standards) a couple of years ago and have something like seat purchases, you buy the seat for life and they would install a real seat not just a bench.

We moved here when I was in the seventh grade and the world of football changed totally, playoff games in the dome, pictures in the papers it was wild compared to a little town where the biggest news paper was thirty five miles away and you played in the shadow of Permian all the time.

Even today if I could start over I would Knowingly stay in that small town just to be able to sit the bench on that team.

Teachers have their part in the upbringing of an individual but often coachs especially good ones shape lives and values, they have more to teach about life, effort and the benfits of hard work against overwelming obstacles.

Ranger Bob

Team Ranger Bob proudly supports these fine sponsors.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
DannyMac.... Are there any players that we've heard of that have come through one of your programs?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Our head football coach made over 90k and did not have to teach class other than football. The ***. coachs had to teach classes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have 10 coaches at my school we are a 4 A freshman team and a 5 A varsity (i think). I play defensive end and hopefully soon I will hopefully be a middle linebacker I play kick off return and punt and all that good stuff I'm trying out for half back and really hopefully get that position. also 8 out of my 10 coaches also teach a class in school besides football

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Brewjr, the 4a and 5a stat comes from the head count at your school. It would not change from your freshman to varsity teams.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes Argo I know now I thought it was different because there are something like 2,700 kids in the high school main campus i am a freshman and we go to a separate campus and we have 1000 kids there. There-for i thought it might be different!

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
They would combine the head count as one. Converse Judson has 2 campus's with 5k head. Super 5A. Next year there will be no such thing anymore. They are dividing to two schools.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts