2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advise on a purchasing a gas powered high pressure sprayer for cleaning the boat and general duties around the house.

1. What should be the maximum psi needed for the boat so the gelcoat is not damaged? If I understand correctly, you can alter the nozzle to reduce the pressure to a safe psi for lighter duty action.
  2. What is the best brand engine and hydraulic pump that has a good performance record?
  3. Where can I find the best price?
I am considering Troy Bilt or Excell (Honda engine or Briggs Stratton intek) with around 2,800 or 3,000 psi from either Lowes or Home Depot. The GPM rating for the Excell is 2.9 using a 6.5 hp honda engine.

Thanks for help

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
Transport22,
The psi issue is really not what you want. What you need is water volumn. The more gpm you have the better the water picking action. As an example compare two water falls. Both falling the same distance. One is high volumn one is low volumn. Which one has the most impact? The high volumn one does. As compared to a pressure washer, Buy the greatest amount of gpm you can afford. 3000 psi / 4 gpm is more than enough and you can back off the psi and still have the water volumn.

Now to answer your questions.

1. What should be the maximum psi needed for the boat so the gelcoat is not damaged? If I understand correctly, you can alter the nozzle to reduce the pressure to a safe psi for lighter duty action. PSI can damage gelcoat, dont get too close. Apply your soap them rince with you pressure washer. Some tips are adjustable, from 0 deg up to a 60 deg fan. Still has the same psi. For lighter duty gust back away.
  2. What is the best brand engine and hydraulic pump that has a good performance record? Get a honda GX series engine ( red one ). In my opinion they are bullet proof and trouble free. B/S intek are junk B/S vangard are compribule to a Honda. Pumps, Admiral, AR, Comet, Inter are all good pumps. But what you will buy as a concumer is most likely a direct drive unit. These are cheep to assemble, but wear out fast. What ever you get get the extended warrentee, you WILL NEED IT. These units sold at the big box stores are going to fail, guaranteed. So get the Extended Warrentee. The reason they fail is running high psi. As I mentioned earlier buy more gpm and back off the psi and the machine will last.
  3. Where can I find the best price? Lowes. HD, TSC, Northern all have simular units. Actually Northern carries a good assortment of accessories.
Hope this answered some of your questions. BTW Im a P/W Contractor.

Mike T

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
My .02

Unless you just want a really macho pressure washer..there are a lot of electric ones out there for a couple of hundred that can push around 1700 psi which is more than enough for cleaning a boat, deck, house and driveway. They may be a little slower than the gassers, but make up for a lot in convience, cost and weight! As I get older, I choose to have fewer gas engins to maintain and upkeep! LOL I bought a cheapo 5 or 6 yrs ago and have used the heck out of it with no probs. Be prepared for all your neighbors to want to borrow it!!

Later
R3F

·
Member since 1999
1,137 Posts
I bought the 2500 psi Excell (w/Briggs & Stratton) from Home Depot for $299....with several "free" accessories....been pleased with it so far. Starts on first crank, cleans cars, house, and driveway/patio well.

Chris

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
I bought an electric one from Walmart for about $160 a couple of years ago. It's a Campbell Hausfeld, 1750 psi at 1.8 gpm.

It works great. Use it to clean the deck, the slab below the house. boat, cars (especially underneath).

The gas washers have better portability, but a 100' extension cord, an an 80' hose and I'm good to go!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Gal Yankee--

That is the same one and price I bought about 5 yrs ago. I used to do a little contracting, and had a courtyard to pressure wash, called to rent one, and after the hassle of paying and picking up and taking back, I just decided to buy a cheapo. I would say I have about 60 hrs of actual use on mine, and have expected it to die any day due to cheap cost, but it just keeps on a ticking...LOL. And they are a lot lighter to load and unload in your PU when you need to take it somewhere--prolly 25 or 30 lbs. Also have a GFI built in on plug for your safty.

Later
R3F

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Transport22 said:
I need advise on a purchasing a gas powered high pressure sprayer for cleaning the boat and general duties around the house.

1. What should be the maximum psi needed for the boat so the gelcoat is not damaged? If I understand correctly, you can alter the nozzle to reduce the pressure to a safe psi for lighter duty action.
  2. What is the best brand engine and hydraulic pump that has a good performance record?
  3. Where can I find the best price?
I am considering Troy Bilt or Excell (Honda engine or Briggs Stratton intek) with around 2,800 or 3,000 psi from either Lowes or Home Depot. The GPM rating for the Excell is 2.9 using a 6.5 hp honda engine.

Thanks for help
Another option is to purchase a used commercial unit that has been cared for properly. On Stuebner just north of 1960 is a placed called "Painters Repair". It sells sprayers etc and rents stuff to painters. They rent about 4-6 pressure washers at a time, keep them in service for about 6 months and then sell them. They do all the servicing of the units and are in tip top shape. I purchased a unit that was 6 mos old, has Kohler engine and pump is "Work Pro", a commercial unit. Pressure is max 3500 and GPM is about 4. I never have used it more than about 2500lbs. 50 ft of hose. Those pissant units you see at Home Depot etc will take you 6-8 hrs to do your driveway. This one does it in 1 hr. A steal at $550. Check them out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts