2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
Great report man, i wish i could have been there. are yall going after it again this weekend?

Josh

·
Galbayfisher
624 Posts
On the edge

If I keep seeing you guys land those beauties from a yak much longer, it will be too much to bear. I'll have to bite the bullet and get me one.

also, your sunrise/sunset pic of the beach is great!!

:bluefish: :bluefish:

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sunrise pic was sent to me by Richard Hall, he was on the beach saturday morning. It is a great pic.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sniper said:
Gotta ask, How do you keep from tipping over when fighting the big ones?
Sniper
A very easy and simple trick that I learned the hard way. When you do get a large fish on keep your rod tip toward the front of your boat. This does two things that allows you to fight a large fish.
When the fish is still away from you and makes a run behind you. Put the rod all of the way down touching the front of your boat. The fish will pull the yak around. This keeps the fish in front of you at all times.
When the fish is close, it gets fun. If he makes a run straight under the yak or behind you. Move the rod tip around the front of the yak to the side of the boat the fish is headed to. This clears the line from the yak.
I use a 7' rod when fishing out of my yak. This gives me enough lenght to clear the front of my boat. A bull red or shark can and will flip you if he runs staight under the yak and you do not get the line on the right side. I am speaking from experience. This type of fishing is very fun. You get to feel the power of each fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a modified dory. Built to handle class 4 rapids. Made in all sizes from 10ft to 20ft. They are normally rowed but can be motored at slow, 10 mph, speed due to the curved hull design. Check the Hyde, Fishrite, Koffler sites.

Mine is all welded aluminum, UHMW bottom shoe, bomb proof. It's 16 ft and is rowed but has a 6 hp if needed. These are usually rowed or drifted, but draft only 2-4 inches. Mine is on a trailer, but the 10 footers can be hand loaded in a pickup. They are constructed of fiberglass or wood or aluminum.

If the kayak works there, the drift boat will too. Seats 2-3 with all gear and is STABLE! Great fishing platform. If I knew how to post a photo, I'd send you one. These are the boats that you see out west floating the rivers, but in good weather will offer comfortable angling in your water.

JF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts