2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

High Island report 8/06-8/07

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  F.A.T. 
#1 ·
8/6/04 HI surf report

Well we had a great couple of trips at High Island thanks to the tips from Jolly Roger. The fish are definitely there. We hit the beach at 8:30 am and had the first run at 9:00 which turned out to be a nice 43 inch Bull Red that my boy landed and less than 30 minutes later another scream sounded which netted my boy another Bull red at 40 inches. The water was smooth with a slight north breeze. My daughter and her friend were down the beach when the first two fish hit so they missed out, but made up for lost time quickly when an ear piercing scream sounded from one of my 3/0 yaked whole 8 inch pony mullets. My daughters friend got to catch her first shark (black tip?) that was 49 inches. That was a memorable moment. Shortly after that my daughter landed another small shark (37 inches). We were staying busy for sure. I yaked out a 10 inch whiting my boy had just caught and put it on my 4/0 with a 20/0 hook and 6 ft 400# mono leader. It didn’t take long for a biggun to find it. When it hit the sound sent chills up my spine. I locked in for a good fight, but realized I was the under dog in this fight. It kept pulling like a train. I managed to turn it after about 15 seconds of tug O war and it cut loose everything. I got tail whipped bad. The end of what was left of my line was shredded about 6 inches up. This had to be a serious Bull shark longer than 6ft. It didn’t take me long to realize that I was under tackled for a fish of that size. We had several good runs that were dropped. Before we left I hooked up on a good 54 inch bull shark and my little girl landed a 41 inch Bull Shark. It was without a doubt a great day fishing. The biting flies were a bit of a pain, but the fish made that not seems so bad.

8/07/04

We just had to go back Saturday and give it another try. My wife felt left out since she had to work while we were catching fish almost on demand. The neighbors decided to tag along as well. We hit the beach at about 9:30 am and while my buddy was dropping baits in the yak the first one he dropped started the reel screaming. That ended up being 39 inch Bull red. I couldn’t get any digital pics because my camera crapped out on me. Probably from the salt air. Go figure. Just minutes later another bent rod netted a 37 inch red and then a 38 inch red , another 39 inch red and an hour later my neighbor landed a 41 inch red. That my friend is some good fun. I locked on to a little 3-4 ft bull shark just before we left, but he bit my 400# mono less than 5 ft from me. It was a good fight. All fish were caught and released. I’d love to have more days like these, but I am totally wore out. We left the beach today at 2:00pm. That’s a lot of action in a short time. I did yak out one sting ray , but it never got touched. Everyone ended up with a fish today and that’s a rare situation. Take care.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
At High Island it is a guess. The water at best is green. After the second bar at High Island the sand bars are not very defined. We have used portable depht finders and after the second bar it is mostly flat. You can see a foot or two difference but that is it. On most other beaches you can see the color change and know where it is deeper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.