2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got rained out at work around lunch. Knew the wind had layed down after two months of 20-25 south winds. Hit 90-100mph several times from Kirbyville on my way home. Got what I needed loaded and made tracks to the beach. Got to the sand around two. The bait stores had nothing I wanted so went empty handed to the beach. The water was the best color I had seen in many fishing trips, wind was 0-5mph out of the SW. Weed was everywhere. Large areas could be seen floating from the beach. Some could have been measured in acres. Found a spot I liked and started trying to make bait. Threw a cast net about thrity minutes. Caught as many finger mullet I could keep, but was wanting some horse or at least pony. The water was clear enough that the larger mullet could see you coming. Gave up with the net and tried some fish bites. After about a hundred hard heads I decide that was as good as it would get. Ran a live hard head out and threw out a few finger mullet balls. Was in the first gut still tring for a whitting when I saw twenty horse mullet come out of the water at the same time,turned and saw my wife running to my rod.

FISH ON

He fought good and had some weight. Up and down the beach we went until I saw some fins. Got him up close and my wife had eveything ready.

4' 10" Bull Shark

The pic does not do him justice. He was very wide and heavy. Right after my wife took this pic she sat the camera down on the yak. It slipped into an area that was holding water. I may need a new camera. Got these pics from the card.

It was the best weather day on the beach for me in many trips. The wind was just enough to cool you down and not makes waves. The water had a great color better than green. Finger mullet were getting ate everywhere. The weed was the only problem. With any current It would have been impossible to fish. The only rods I could fish with were over 11'. The only break in the waves would bring in a shorter rod. Finger mullet were easy to get but no large baits but hard heads.The fish are there,if the conditions are.

·
Gulf Coast *******
216 Posts
Hey JR you are two for two on the last couple of trips. Good going. That persistance is what it takes to catch fish. I only wished I had more time to fish meaning....I wish I was about 300 miles closer to the coast.

Excellent job as always.

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
man skip u need to move down here. u waste like what 6hrs of fishing time just driving? plus the gas money ouch

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey TJ, where were you coming from in Kirbyville?? Thats my neck of the woods, Im about 15 miles south in Buna, you went right through our little town.. May not have even noticed it though.

Water looked nice in the picture. I haven't been able to get out because of work, but this weekend Im off and its looking good so far.. Healthy looking Bull you got there.

Later.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey SabineStalker I have been working on roads around you for the last two years. 96 going north. I quit the company doing 96 and went to work for one doing 82 in Kirbyville. We have had weather problems. Road work takes time. I fell for eveyone in that area. They let to much work at one time in that area.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Man, you guys rock

Battling the conditions.. you are brave and rewarding.. Congrats

1 - 6 of 6 Posts