2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got to the beach around seven saturday morning to find very wet conditions. Three inches of rain had just fell. It was starting to look as if it was clearing up so me and Buckeye made or way down the beach. The surf was very rough with lots of trash in it from the backwash. We meet some friends a few miles down the beach and started to get set up. I got two rods out and tried to wade out. The current was ripping through and I could only make it out about waist deep. The rain started back. We toughed it out for a few hours but decide to call it a day. Chrism was catching a few reds one in the slot and a good fat 43" red. Hope you caught a few more after we left.

Sunday 09-26-04

I love fishing in the fall. The day before almost a total lost and today, could not keep a bait in the water. Meet buckeye at the beach around seven thrity, we got set up and paddled a few baits out. I had the first run maybe ten minutes later.

Jolly Roger with a red

The action would only get better. The other rod did not wait long before I was hooked up again.

Jolly Roger with a red

I got those two rods back out and cast a 320gti about fifty foot of the sand. It did not take long for the small rod to start to scream. Big red from the first gut

Jolly Roger with a red

We started to notice large schools of mullet starting to form. This is the time of the yaer that they spawn and they have started early. Got out with my net and first through lands some big mullet. To many and to big for me to pick the net up, have to drag it in.Most were around 14" with a few 20" in the mix. Now we have some good shark bait. To bad in a few days they will be to big to use as bait, but not today

Got some monster mullet out and it did not take long for the reels to start screaming.

Jolly Roger with a 4'3" bull shark

Buckeye, being the shark catching machine, did not waste any time getting into the action. As soon as mine swam away he was hooked up.

Buceye with a 4' bull shark

A few minutes went by and he was hooked up again.

Buckeye with a 4' bull shark

Buckeye gets another run a few minutes later. Comes in mostly slack until the end. Yep a red fish had just ate a 20" mullet. No mullet is to big for these fish.

Buckeye with a red

The action slows for a short time. Then almost at the same time two reels go off. I lost mine but Buckeye brings in yet another shark.

Buckeye with a bull shark

I pick up and leave around two. Buckeye stayed behind and I am sure he caught more fish. I missed fish up until I put the last rod up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Great report! I'll try to get another one for you. We are heading out to HI Tuesday AM.

Were going to hit somewhere a few miles past the barracades. Wish us luck!

James

·
Registered
67 Posts
Me and a buddy are heading out to HI wed. afternoon and fishing overnight and thurs. morning. i have never been there before and was wondering about some places to look for to set up. I have 2 rods with 20lb spinning tackle(310yds). and a stout 7' i use for catfishing. any advice on where to go and how to rig would be greatly appreciated. looking for my first red and or small sharks.
~Mark

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
past the barricades or between the piers are some of the best choices for surf fishing in that area. The barricades are at the intersection of 124 and 87. Go east past the barricades a few miles until you see a good streach of beach and set up. This is a good area for wade and cast. The area between the piers has a very deep gut right now and makes it hard to wade and cast. Use large cut mullet or croaker. Small baits will be ate by hard heads and gafftop before a red or shark has time. A 8"-12" whole mullet will be a good bait. Also croakers are still in the surf and can be caught on fishbites or doa shrimp. They are also very good bait. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you for the info. I will write a report as soon as i can. I think my buddy has one of those digital cameras, so hopefully we will have a good picture to post.
~Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts