2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever move to Colorado?
I saw the pic.
I grew up there so I can get you info on the fishing up there.

Gowdy

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Yep, been up here for about three months now. Lovin' it so far, but I could definitely use some info on fishing in drinking water. It's a bit different than the salt! ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I remember correct your in the Colo. Springs area.Head up to South Park and try Spinney Mountain or 11-Mile lakes.
About 2 hours from Colo Spgs.
These are 2 of the best big (freshwater) trout lakes up there.
Most people use spinning reels with 6-8 lb. test.

Spinney has BIG trout. Rainbows, browns, and cuts.
Fly & Lure only fishing regs.
For hardware, use gold spoons (Kastmasters, Daredevils, ets.), &
3"-5" shallow running plugs. (Rapalas, etc).
You will also need to learn the fly & bubble method. It's rigged just like a Carrolina rig but you use a clear casting bubble in place of the weight. Filling the bubble with water will let it float/sink depending on how much water is filled.
Common fly patters are Wolly Bugger, Platte River specials, Halfbacks,
QT, Hairs ear, just to name a couple. Most all fly/bubble fishing will be sub-surface to 6' deep. Throw them out and reel in REAL slow.

Use the same at 11-mile. Bait is allowed a 11-mile.
11-mile has less fish but most caught are over 3 lbs and 10 lb + are in both lakes.

Also, take a little heavy gear and try for the Notrhern Pike. Like a freshwater Barracuda, these are the only fish in freshwater that try to bite you when you bring them in. 11-mile is known for BIG Pike. 20+ lbs are caught all the time.
Use a shock leader or steel leader and throw large Rapala's, Spinner Baits, or large soft plastics like Bass ***, etc. The Pike will be near the shallow grass beds on both lakes. There is a rush when you see a 40" torpedo follow your lure back.

There is also the stretch of river ( So. Platte) that runs from Spinney to 11-Mile. This is Gold Medal water regs with fly/lure only and catch & release.
This is a great little stretch of the river. Big, fat trout. This area is fished heavy by the fly fishing purists so the fish are schooled. I do real good throwing Black, Brown and Olive 1/8 - 3-16 oz. Maribou jigs. It's a killer method that the fish have not keyed on yet.

Hope this helps get you out there.
PS: Have you bought youe Ice Auger & Ice fishing hut yet?

Gowdy

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info! I'm actually in Englewood, about 45 minutes north of Colorado Springs (10 minutes south of Denver). Once everything settles down a bit, I plan on getting out and buying some new fishing equipment (fly rods, etc.). I'll print out this info so I'll have it in the future. I'll probably PM you with some questions when that time comes. Thanks again!

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
Hey Shadman, One thing you said stood out to me about " Fishing in drinking water "
I never lived in colorado but my grandparents had a house near durango , and one of the things I remeber hearing is your really NOT supposed to drink the water from most of those streams and such. Some have high levels of arsinic and other heavy metals that leach outta the rocks .
You might wanta check into that just for safety sake. But feel free to tell me if I'm wrong

Dave

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Now you will need a new Nick

I don't think Shad is the bait of choice up there...LOL

Flyman??
WoolyBuggerMan??
Nymphman??

I loved fishing there, spent many years in my childhood on vacation at the "trailer". My family owns some land and a trailer there. Very nice creek full of fish. The weather and skyline were breath taking. I should try and get my family up there for some much needed relaxation.

·
Banned
9,560 Posts
GC - It was just a figure of speech. I was referring to the saltwater fisherman's motto that "freshwater is for drinking, not for fishing". I've heard similar things about drinking water from the streams.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Time for a name change?

bill said:
I don't think Shad is the bait of choice up there...LOL

Flyman??
WoolyBuggerMan??
Nymphman??

I loved fishing there, spent many years in my childhood on vacation at the "trailer". My family owns some land and a trailer there. Very nice creek full of fish. The weather and skyline were breath taking. I should try and get my family up there for some much needed relaxation.
NAw, no one knows how it's like to be the Shadman, right?

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Lol

How cool is that...I always thought it was your nick, perfect for a fishing board...LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts