2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an Ocean Frenzy .... I need to know how much the bottom can handle as far as being run over rocks and getting sctached up.. Does anyone here know of a way to protect the bottom? Maybe a coating of some sort, I was thinking maybe the spray in bedliner stuff ...

I plan to run real shallow in rivers and want to protect the bottom a liitle better since I will be dragging it over bedrock a lot. Maybe I should have bought a used Yak. A little late now lol ..

I just took it to the San Gabriel river and floated about 10 miles of it. Caught a 21 inch black bass that went between 5 and 6 lbs. My personal best. Ended up with 40 bass and 3 catfish and Caught and released.. Broke my yak in good. too good.

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
Sounds like nice maiden voyage. Congrats on the personal best

your yak's bottom will take a lot of abuse, I've seen tons of oyster shell gashes that didn't even get close to ruining the hull on yaks so I wouldn't sweat it. Bedliner will create a trmendous amount of drag and the hull flex may cause it to simply flake off... I'd leave it the way it is... Canoesport does sell a treatment that they suggest putting on older yaks (they may suggest it on newer ones as well) but I think its mainly for UV protection, to keep the plastic from getting brittle

jc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts