2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am here in Seadrift, been fishin Port O quite a bit, between this Vibrio scare and the price of gas I think I want to try somethin new, there is multiple canals/bayous/rivers etc within 15 minutes of my house, HECK San Antone Bay is fresh right now and several of my buddies have actually caught cats in there recently, actually been catchin them right where we would limit on trout this same time last year..... anybody have any hints/areas/techniques for me to try and catch a few of these whisker fish. Last time I actually fish for was bessies creek in Simonton....any help would be great. is chicken liver still the best bait.....

·
Registered
728 Posts
Chicken liver is hard to beat for catfish bait. Most of the folks I know like to use cut bait, mostly fresh shad (skipjack, blueback, gizzard and threadfin being the most common). There are as many different preferences for bait, presentation and tackle as there are catmen, but if you find a likely spot and you put a few lines out, you should be just fine with livers. I fish on the bottom mostly, with as many lines (fan-cast) out as I can manage. If you're in tidal water, I'd recommend any tide but slack tides, and I like a rising tide best of all. You can fish creek mouths adjacent to deep water. You can fish in deep holes with structure in them, and you can fish the flats in catfish waters on the rising tide and have success in all of the different kinds of set ups you choose. I like the rising tide on a flat near a creek with a lot of flooded timber in the creek. I also like a deep hole or deep water right next to a flat, fished about any time the fish are feeding.

The best part of your question is that I'm the least experienced catman (wanna be) on this forum, and there are guys here that fish circles around me... depending on the kind of water they fish, they are very wise in the way of the catfish... so pull up a chair, kick back in the ole Catfish Lounge and wait for the wise old Catmen to weigh in... it won't be long 'fore you'll find out what you need to know to be filling that boat with catfish slime...

Tom

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
If'n they're channels...somethin' stinky

If'n they're flatheads...livebait.

If'n they're blues...cutbait.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Can't beat a fresh nightcrawler under a cork around woody cover or rip-rap. Yeah you can :headknock , fresh cut skipjack.

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
I fish not to far north of there, in the Guadalupe (just south of 77). We have pretty good success using beef kidney, cut shad, punch bait or shrimp fished on a carolina rig.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys

Catfish, the ones I have seen were all around 18 to 20 inch yellows I believe. Caught on mullet. The Redfish my buddy had was 24 inches even and these cats were just short of that. the little kids around town have been fishin the canals and bringin home quite a few 12 to 16 inchers. I am going to try tonight the river right before Tivoli on 35.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts