2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Getting started.

I love the smell of a new kit and its a perfect cold and rainy day to start building. As I expected from Herr, the sticks are straight as an arrow and light. The laser cutting is a good as it gets. Pieces fell out as I got the sheets out of the bag.

I plan to build this as a 4 channel with airelons and reduced dihedral.

On to the tail feathers.

Attachments

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welp, this is not a good way to start out. I didn't receive any tail feathers.

E mail time.

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Nice looking kit Biff - you going to go with electric or nitro (I'm assuming that "glow" means nitro for this kit and not the old school glow motors they would use for wire flyers)?

PD2:cool:

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice looking kit Biff - you going to go with electric or nitro (I'm assuming that "glow" means nitro for this kit and not the old school glow motors they would use for wire flyers)?

Yea, glow means nitro. Ill be over powering this plane a tad. They call for a .061 and Ill be hanging an OS .10 on it. :rotfl:

Kit was $41.99.

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Yea, glow means nitro. Ill be over powering this plane a tad. They call for a .061 and Ill be hanging an OS .10 on it. :rotfl:

Kit was $41.99.
OH YEAH! MORE POWER! LOL!

$42?? Other than the engine and electronics what else do you have to buy to complete the plane for flying?

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH YEAH! MORE POWER! LOL!

$42?? Other than the engine and electronics what else do you have to buy to complete the plane for flying?

Two rolls of covering at about $30, wheels, another $10, props, tank and stuff. But I allready have all that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sweet little plane!!

I just finished building a Herr Mini-Sport about 3 weeks ago. This was my first kit build and my first try at putting on covering. I know what ive been missing now buying arfs, i really had a good time building and it turned out better than I expected.

How are you going build in your ailerons? I built some in, but it caused the wing to warp and the plane just doesnt fly right. I tried to use only one servo and conceal it in the fuse, but i might have to make it more simple and just use two in the wing. I might start on a new wing this week, my new wood bag ($14.00 for the entire plane!!) just came in from SIG yesterday.

Tim

Attachments

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tim, I was at work earlier and just didnt have to time to respond. Nice job BTW!

Got a couple of questions. What covering was you using? Some covering material like Monokote shrinks alot and if your not carefull, you could warp the wing and/or the airelons due to shrinkage..

Is the leading and trailing edges of the wing straight?

So you like building kits now huh? lol

I'm addicted. Theres nothing like taking a box of sticks and turning into a work of art that actually flys!

When your ready Ill help you with how to install two airelon servos.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Paul, heres a video of one. LOL! :D

Cool! That little plane has got some moves!

I had a problem with warping on my SSE that I covered with Monokote. The ailerons both warped. My best guess is that it was from sitting in the sun, because they weren't warped when I covered them. I just held them down on a flat surface and used the heat gun to re-shrink the covering and they straightened out fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The covering is Coverite microlite. Its so thin it reminds me of saran wrap, and was a challenge to work with on the larger pieces like the wing. When I would peel the backing off it would want to curl and stick together just like a piece of plastic wrap for food.

My problem is I made the ailerons out of the trailing edges. I built the wing and went back and cut the section of the trailing edge from the ribs that I wanted to be the ailerons. I then went back and added a lite ply strip to be the trailing edge. It just didnt work out right, I think I tried to make it too difficult to get the linkage and all to work using just one servo. Im thinking that using 2 servos and adding a strip to the trailing edge will work better than butchering up a straight wing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts