2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is doing much, much better! The only problem they're having now is how to knock the pain down. All his life he has avoided pain killers. They've given him Percocet, didn't work. Morphine, didn't work. And Darvacet, that didn't work either. The pain kept him awake all night.

When he called this morning he sounded 100% better than he did last evening. The doctor was in to see him. He told Eric that during the surgery they found he had Carpal Syndrome (probably because of his constant computer work). They took care of it but the Doc told him that his left hand won't be able to function normally again. (I'm a little surprised he told him that right away...and besides, knowing Eric, I think he will surprise the doc).

The doc also said that Eric, hopefully, will be able to go home on Monday. He's going to need 6 to 8 weeks of therapy.

And, when Eric told the doc that the pain killer was only making him "stoned" instead of easing the pain, the doc's reply was "That's exactly what we want it to do. Then you won't feel the pain so much."

Anything more I'll let you know. I've been telling Eric about your beautiful posts and wishes and I know that he wants to personally reply to them....even through he can only use when finger now when typing.

I'm going to rest for a bit. God bless our whole family here.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

And be sure to tell him to NOT over take those meds (pain killers), that is a serious list and should not be taken lightly, real problem with overdose and addiction.

·
Banned
2,823 Posts
My prayers are with him, you and your family. I want to give you some details that might help you better understand what is going on...

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome may or may not be a repetitive use syndrome-seems that is open to debate. It used to be called the "grocery checker's disease" because of their repetitive motions at the counter, but now, it seems, that it is only referred to a repetitive use disease if it is workmans. comp (for reimbursement reasons).

It involves the median nerve that is in the wrist that runs through a fibrous tunnel (the carpal tunnel). The surgical treatment usually involves a small incision about 1/2 inch long (+/-). What they do is cut the the fibrous tissue that is the carpal tunnel. This eliminates the "syndrome".

The syndrome is that, for some reason, the nerve sheath (the fine tissue that lines the nerve) becomes irritated and swells. This causes it to rub against that fibrous tissue, which, in turn, irritates the nerve sheath and keeps it swollen, which, in turn, causes more rubbing on the carpal tunnel..and on and on. That is the "syndrome". To break the cycle or syndrome, we cut the sheath, relieving the irritation on the nerve sheath, allowing the sheath to calm down and the nerve to stop being irritated by the nerve sheath.

One of the residual effects may be a loss of grip strenghth in the affected hand, but with today's technology and surgical technique, grip strenghth loss issues have been greatly reduced.

Post-op pain meds should minimal and advil should be sufficient after the first week or so.

Most patients return to normal or near function with the exception of workmen's comp patients (secondary gain isuues).

I hope this helps you understand what Eric's disease process is as well as the treatment and expected recovery. I firmly believe that knowledge is instrumental in both the family and the patient understanding what to expect.

·
Banned
2,823 Posts
I just read your earlier post about Eric's injury. I take it he broke his wrist. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome does sometimes occur after a trauma-that's how the nerve gets irritated and the cycle or syndrome begins.

Loss of range of motion may be another consequence of this type of injury, but most patients return to or near what we refer to as a "functional range of motion".

If Eric continues to experience extreme pain more than 5 days post-op, let me know. I may be able to offer some guidance. Just post it here-I'll keep an eye out for you. I doubt however that you will have to report continued extreme pain.

I'm sorry that Eric had to experience this complication of a wrist fracture.

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
I hope it all works out well, Joyce. Give him our best!

Rick

·
Registered
19 Posts
AJ,

Tell you son not to over do. Make him follow Dr.'s orders. He will be better for it. As far as the meds go, I've had two kidney stones and they could not pump the morphine in me fast enough. I don't like using pain killers either because I have an addicitive personality. But if I'm rolling in the floor like a shot dog, you better believe I'm going the get something for the pain. I could tell the difference between pain management and getting stoned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts