2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now been through 2 sets of Par64 cans with 1000 watt bulbs. Ike destroyed the first set. My buddy Tres accidentally tipped the last set in the water last weekend. So here I am to ask y'all about this.

It looks like I have access through another 2cooler to some stadium lights. They'll be permanently mounted on the dock, no more worrying about kicking the lights over or having them blow over anymore.

My question for y'all is this: Stadium lights are flood lights right? I remember learning right here that you wanted very narrow beam spotlights, that's why I went with the Par64 cans with the very narrow beam bulbs. We've done pretty well with them, hence my worry about trying something else. Would these stadium lights be ok or should I get another set of par64's? I mean, free is good, but Tres is ready to pay for a new set if necessary.

So what does the 2cool braintrust suggest? Which is better?

Thanks! - Sandy

·
Registered
298 Posts
I dont have any experience with stadium lights but i do know that locomotive headlights work really well. We use them on a stand or fixed to the pier and Ill tell you what those are some bright SOB's!!! They have a narrow beam and my buddy's dad built a box for them that makes a good beam on the water. We use four of them in the box and they work fine in the rain. He would take them out to the dike and everyone would want to fish in his lights because they work so well. If you want i can find out where he got them just PM me.

·
Native Texan
10,977 Posts
Not sure which attracts fish better, but the stadium light will produce more "stray" light that will shine on nearby houses, etc. if that is an issue at all.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No other camps anywhere around us, so that's not really an issue. I just wondered about the light penetrating the water. I always heard about needing the narrow beams to do that.

Texas, I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to go back with the Par64s because they work great and don't cost much or do the stadium lights because they're free.

Rusty, I sure appreciate that and I'll take you up on it for sure. Is it something we could bolt to the pilings?

·
There's no time like overtime!
8,926 Posts
I'd say try it first and see how it works. I'd like to know myself! Try free first and then spend if you have to! I still need to come get that Dutch oven!

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd say try it first and see how it works. I'd like to know myself! Try free first and then spend if you have to! I still need to come get that Dutch oven!
I was thinkin' you forgot about that. The longer you wait, the dustier it gets. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Stadium Lights

If they are metal halide, you are gonna love them. They draw alot less power, put out 4 times the lumens! also much whiter light.

·
Jetty Fisher
679 Posts
I would go with the PAR 64 lights if your looking for penetration but I am a little biased to the PAR 64 lights being I sell them! You could also just buy new bulbs for your lights. If you are looking for new PAR 64's shoot me a PM. I have the lights here in Brazoria if you want to look at them.

-NF

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
It's all about the color rendition. The par 64 brings everything in. If you've been fishing a par 64 you will not be happy with the Metal Halide which comes pretty much standard in a stadium light fixture. I learned this from some very savy night fishermen. They were right...it's the par64 1000 watt flood that is the caddilac of night fishing.

Biggie:biggrin:

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
Sandy. Biggieand RLW is right on the money. The par 64 /1000 watt narrow or medium spot is best for fishing! The MH stadium will give you alot more light for viewing/security. I've owned both!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Right after the hurricane, I lost my stadium light that was on my boat lift. While the home was being rebuilt, I put up on the pier a set of PAR64 lights. Had a lot of problems with connections and maintenance. Also the light pattern was much tighter then the stadium light. Well, ASA things got rebuilt, I put back up the stadium light. Yes its more expensive, but the light pattern is much wider, gives you a larger area to fish, and IMO its easier on the eyes. AFA drawing more bait, it seems like it does. The bulb has an 11,000 hour life, and the PAR's, well lets just say, they are a good portable light package. I vote for the stadium light. FAR SUPERIOR

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sandy, there are lots of comments on this subject so here is mine. IMHO the PAR64 is the best portable light but is not known for long life. The goal of my lights is to attract bait. The light does not have to penetrate the water to attract bait. Though not very suitable for fishing, any incandescent light bulb will do that when placed near enough the water. Given that, a stadium light is an effective fishing light that will last longer than a PAR64. For a permanent application on a pier IMHO underwater lights are the best fishing light. No glare, does not light up the neighborhood, and they attract lots of bait. If you know how to wire and have good soldering skills you can build this setup yourself with a MH bulb, ballast, a waterproof enclosure and some SO cord. You can place on a timer or photocell and they are fairly inexpensive.

·
Jetty Fisher
679 Posts
I dont know why people dont get long life spans out of there PAR 64's because I have been building and selling these lights for over five years and I have only repaired a hand full and most of them were people dropping them. My set of lights are going on there 5th year and are still going strong! I have fished with a few people on this site at night with lights and they can vouch for the lights I build! I will put my lights up against any other light stadium lights, the lights from cheap lights.com. Coachlaw jump in the truck and come on over to Brazoria and I will show you the lights you need! If they do go out the replacement bulbs are $40.00 and I change the bulb out while you wait!!!

-NF

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the thoughts. These lights are for fishing only. We don't need any lights for around the camp. No need to disturb nature all around us. Just a lantern on the porch and my 12 volt system inside gives us all the light we want or need. So illuminating a large area is not necessary. It's a remote place near SLP, generator power only, therefore permanent underwater lights are not really an option. It's on a navigable waterway and I don't want to be worried about someone hooking my light with their anchor. I do not need them to be permanently mounted. I loved the Par64 cans, but the tri-pod stand was the weak point. I was always worried about someone kicking the lights into the water, and it finally happened last weekend.

I loved the Par64s and I never had to replace a bulb before. Ike absolutely obliterated my first set. I found pieces all over the place and hauled them off with the rest of the camp debris. I ordered an identical set after we got the dock rebuilt. It was a great setup. From what I gather here, I think we should go ahead and mount one stadium light on one of the pilings. Free is good. But I'll get another set of Par64s too. That way we'll be throwing out 3000 watts into the water :D

One thing I hadn't thought of and I'd like Night Fisherman's thoughts particularly. The entire setup was dunked in the salt water, while running. We waited until the breaker on the gen tripped, I unhooked everthing and shut down the gen, then we hauled it all up. Everything was in the water for about 5 minutes. Will any of it be safe to use again? I'm thinking it will rust out pretty quick. I didn't have enough fresh water to wash anything off. My thought on electricity is I don't want to take any chances, that's why I wrote off the entire setup. So should I just try to put some new bulbs in? Or should I forget about it and get a new setup? Either way, I'm going to mount a pipe on a piling so I can slide the lights in and not worry about a tripod falling into the water again.

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts and PMs. - Sandy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts