2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This once does worry me!
Well, down comes the front yard family swing again. Sven took it down for Charlie and just reassembled it on his day off last Tuesday.They're alerting South Florida to keep a close watch on the updates.
My hats off to the people who work at the Hurricane Center. They work a stressful job, staying at their posts for long hours. We are very fortunate to have them looking out for us!

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
I was heading to Ft. Pierce for 4 days, starting on the 9th. Looks like that plan is out. Now I wished I had planned to drive, instead of buying tickets, rent cars and hotels in advance. Sure hope it turns out to sea.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
and where does one buy such a thing, Shawn? I am sure Southwest will give me some of my money back, and if the condo I rented is still standing afterwards, he might too. The condo is a goner if a cat 4 hits it. Too bad, it's a pretty spot right on the inlet at Ft. Pierce. This is what I get for not driving 2200 miles in two days, lol. Sure hope it turns, I have lots of friends over there that won't make it through a direct hit.

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
if you made arrangements with a travel agent, try them. Otherwise try the airline.

If a storm comes through, no airline going to be flying anyway. If they cancel the flight, they should at least give you a crdeit voucher for that amount. The condo - you put it on a credit card, right? if a strom comes through that makes for a strong argument for refuting a charge with your CC company. They shouldn't be able to charge you for a room that can't be occupied (if Ft. Pierce is evacuated). If a Cat 4 makes it there, they surely will evacuate.

*edit* after thinking a minute - trip insurance may be one of those things gone by the wayside in a post 9/11 world (even professional liability ins. went up after 9/11, my ins. co. blamed it on the bombing). It was available when I was leading dive trips to Mexico - never bought it and never needed it, thankfully. I don't think any of my customers ever bought it either, but it was available.

·
Administrator
23,848 Posts
Southwest airlines on line is my travel agent. We will have to see on that one.

I have rented that condo every year since 1998, and if it's still standing next week, it's gonna be a miracle. Clive owns it, and yes, I did pay with a debit card. But I wouldn't think of disputing it, if it gets hit broadside. Clive is a good guy.

The rent car is easy, if I don't pick it up, someone else can use it to get the heck outta town. I was flying into Orlando.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems most people here are frightened!

The local news stations say that Home Depot has been swamped. People are waiting, they're already boarding up. I just hope this thing spins off to the east. I sure wouldn't want to see the Carolinas and OBX take it on the chin again.
As strong as the storm is we're afraid the little old garage our landlord has on this property will blow away. It suffered badly from Andrew but he didn't want to spend money on the roof. So every time it rains, the garage is full of water.
But mostly Sven is worried about the huge ficus tree that's hovering over his bedroom. We've already had the experience some years ago of a very large ficus tree smashing through the roof and tearing up a living room.
Oh, well! What will be will be.
Hey Mont....in case you're hopping in here again....did you ever receive the private message I sent to you the other day?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts