2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on using the herculiner to paint the deck of my center console. I have used regular deck paint for the past couple years and it doesnt hold up. Any opinions out there on using this for deck paint? I have already taken everything out of my boat and started sanding the deck but wanted to get some feedback before I coated it. The spray shops want around 1200 to do my boat cause of the size of space needed to be covered. It will cost me about 250 to herculine it myself......cost about 100 to paint or less.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
Does herculiner come with any other color that black. If you can only get black I would think that it would be to hot for the deck of my boat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used Herculiner in the bed of my truck. It has held up ok over a year, but in some places it has worn off and the paint underneath shows through. I think it was application error, though, because I do not believe I put it on thick enough in some spots. Otherwise, it is good stuff.

I agree that the black would end up being awful hot in summer and you probably would not want to go barefoot on it. I think they offer it in red and maybe some other colors as well, which may work better.

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I am not sure how cool light gray will even be. My boat is grey and the deck also and on a sunny day I have to wear shoes to keep from burning my feet but I hope you have better luck with the Herculiner.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JSB thanks for the heads up, I just ordered 2 gallons of the durabak and it is actually less expensive than herculiner. It is $115 per gallon where as herculiner is $140 per gallon/1 roller. Each roller was only $5 from durabak and from what I read on their site they use it for boating more often and more effectively than herculiner. The guy told me that the marine industry makes up a good majority of their business. Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
oh that is too funy. haha..
Herculined, for her pleasure..

·
Registered
800 Posts
A friend had bedliner material sprayed on the floor and casting decks of his floundering boat. When it gets saltwater on it, the liner becomes slick as glass. Extreme Fall Hazard!!!

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This stuff is what the coast guard uses. I have seen it on their ships and smaller boats which is what made me think of it. They seem to like it. I just did not know which company made their stuff at first. It is www.durabak.com and BTW any surface is slick with fish guts and water on it.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
My truck was sprayed with stuff called RattleGuard. It seems to not have its shiny luster after a few months, and is somewhat brittle and tends to chip when something like a shovel is thrown on it, but it does not get slippery.

a

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.