2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
In my brothers shed I found 2 old unopen
cardboard cans of Hercules Herco Powder.
He said that years ago he loaded up some pistol bullets
with this powder.
But on the can it says Shotgun powder?
The cans are old but in good shape,and haven't been open.
Has anyone use this powder in Pistols?
He was telling me this is what he used along time ago
in one of his pistols.
But he hasen't go the load anymore.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I used to load Hercules Bullseye powder for .38 special loads - about 3 grains I think. It is a shotgun, flake powder, fast burn, but with low power loads is very accurate. The speed of the burn dictates the pressure curve. The loads should still be good if sealed, might try a special load in a magnum revolver if that is what they are first - 38 special in 357 mag, or 44 special in 44 mag. Good luck, GC.

·
Registered
230 Posts
There are a lot of shotgun powders that are used a lot in pistol. Green dot, Red dot, etc. Big question is how good the powder still is, if it has been in a hot shed for a long time. Others here can likely tell you how to judge that. As for loads, check out the manufacturer's website. Usually good info there, or any reloading manual (I like Sierra).

Steve

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I use Herco to load several pistol calibers.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,559 Posts
You said "shed". Heat is a killer of gun powder, not shelf life. If the cans are not coming apart and are still unopened as you said open one and see if there are any red colored fumes or a strong acid smell. If there are then you need to water it into your yard...it makes good fertilizer.

If the powder was kept at normal temperatures and doesn't have the characteristics mentioned above it should be fine.

TH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts