2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 hp 1999 Mercury Force that has been basically trouble free for the last 8 years (since I bought my boat). A few weekends ago it would not start--no spark.

Doing some research it seemed like it was either the switchbox or the stator. I ordered both. Replaced the switchbox but not the stator and it fired right up.

Went out today and by the end of the day it would not start. Same problem. It has new spark plugs but there is not power to the plugs.

When checked, there is power to the switchbox. Could it be the switchbox again? This one did not come with a ground wire so not sure if it went out or I bought a dud. It is from CDI electronics.

I don't live at the coast but took this entire week off to fish with my family and after day 1 we have no working motor. Would really like to have an answer so we can salvage the week and fish if anyone has any ideas to help get us back on the water before Friday.

Thank you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should also mention that the original voltage regulator has 4 wires (grey, red, and 2 yellow) with one black ground wire.

All the replacements, including the one I bought, have two red wires, a grey wire, two yellow, and no ground.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your emergency kill switch if you have an intermittent spark issue, as well as the other items you mentioned
The kill switch has never been tripped/toggled since I've owned the boat. Would there be any reason it would act up?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yes, it could have internal issues that can prevent the ignition system from functioning Thatis it’s purpose! In case you get ejected from the boat. It stops the xspark and kills the motor. Thus the common name
“ Kill Switch.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You might flip that switch ooff an on about 20 times, then see if that changes your no start situation. It may have internal corrosion causing you problems. That switch has to work, by the way. New law last september

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Check the starter solenoid, I had a similar issue last year and that solenoid was going out which caused intermittent starting issues.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Sounds Ike your pretty Mechanically inclined unplug the main wire harness at the engine with a starter button on the starter solenoid crank it over and check spark again this will take the boat out of the picture. If you have no spark on all 3 it is most likely the Stator switch box usually drops one cylinder not common to drop all cylinders

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is on a suzuki df 140
(No spark)
Blown fuse for ignition system. Replace.
Loose connection or disconnection of
lead wire.
Connect securely.
Faulty spark plug(s). Replace.
Faulty ignition coil. Replace.
Faulty CKP sensor. Replace.
Faulty CMP sensor or sensor trigger
vane of camshaft.
Replace.
Faulty Ecm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts