2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 10 month old Golden Retriever outside for his walk last night. Once we got back in, it was shortly there after I noticed a welt forming on his nose and he seemed to be itching quite a bit.

His obvious discomfort thru itching has continued thru the night and continues this morning. the swelling has dissapaded on his snout, but his is still itching like mad.

Any suggestions? or has anyone else ever experience this?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had a narc dog do sniff on a vehicle that had an allergic reaction to something in the trunk. Her face swelled up so bad she looked like a Sharpi'. Vet gave her a shot of steroids and told me to keep benadryl on hand. 1 capsule for a dog her size (55 lbs)

·
Old yellow member
2,275 Posts
Yeap like everyone said benadryl. also if you have a topical type you can put it on the nose.

I carry benadryl with when we do Tracking, just in case of that.

FN

·
Kayak Fisher
7,566 Posts
Being a new dog owner, I'm glad to see this thread. Now I'll know to have that stuff handy for Molly as well as for us! Thanks.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
Mrs B - please check with your vet for a safe amount of Benadryl to give to Molly.

I know a 25mg tablet is safe for a large dog. I don't know what size for a dachsund.

·
Kayak Fisher
7,566 Posts
speckle-catcher said:
Mrs B - please check with your vet for a safe amount of Benadryl to give to Molly.

I know a 25mg tablet is safe for a large dog. I don't know what size for a dachsund.
Good thinking! Molly's only 15 pounds. I'll check with the vet, or any vets on here care to give me the proper dosage of Benadryl for a 15-pound dog? Thanks.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. As an update...he is still scratching, but not as bad. I did give him a benedryl and oatmeal bath which seemed to relax him long enough to take a few hours nap. The welts on his nose have gone down.

I have no idea what could have/be causing this. I can only guess he go stung by something (but he didn't act like it)...bit by something (again, no actions of this occuring)...who knows... I do know that if it was a snake bite, I guess he wouldn't be doing so good after 18 hours, so thank goodness it wasn't that.

I'll keep an eye on him and maybe give him another dose of Benedryl this evening if you guys don't think one in the morning and one at night is too much.

Again, thanks for the quick feedback

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
One of the pups in my last litter got bitten by something (vet guessed it to be some kind of snake) while still VERY small. Her whole head puffed up all the way down to her shoulers to the point where she could barely open her eyes! You would have never known that anything was wrong with her by watching her....she would run and play with the others like she was fine. I felt so bad for her, but the vet assured me that she should be fine and to give her the benedryl to help with the swelling and itching. It helped A BUNCH and she ended up doing just fine.

Good luck with your pup!

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
Mrs. B,

My wife has two little dogs (12 bls and 15lbs). One half of a benedryl is the right dose for them. A whole 25mg tablet won't kill them, but will put them to sleep for a while.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
SeaCraft said:
Thanks for all the responses. As an update...he is still scratching, but not as bad. I did give him a benedryl and oatmeal bath which seemed to relax him long enough to take a few hours nap. The welts on his nose have gone down.

I have no idea what could have/be causing this. I can only guess he go stung by something (but he didn't act like it)...bit by something (again, no actions of this occuring)...who knows... I do know that if it was a snake bite, I guess he wouldn't be doing so good after 18 hours, so thank goodness it wasn't that.

I'll keep an eye on him and maybe give him another dose of Benedryl this evening if you guys don't think one in the morning and one at night is too much.

Again, thanks for the quick feedback
You should be able to give it to them every 8 hours or so. If he isn't better by tomorrow though, you should go ahead and take him to the vet. He's either having a serious reaction that is going to require a steroid shot, or there may be something else going on. Goldens are susceptable to a skin condition that requires an antibiotic to clear up. If caught early, it's easy to clear up, but if it goes on to long they will need IV antibiotics to cure it. We just went through that wil our 1 year old Golden. He kept scratching, but didn't have fleas and benedryl wasn't helping. They get brown spots on the skin if that's the problem.

From what you describe, and the swelling on the nose, it sounds like he got into something that didn't agree with him and his having a reaction.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts