2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jalapeno!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I were making Shark Leaders with 400# mono and 400# wire leader, when we went to test them they only held at to around 100-120# of weight before they snapped at the crimp..

Are we doing anything wrong? It this typical? What is a good way to test leader strength before we get out to the surf?

Last question how big of a lopp should we use when crimping hooks to leader? We were making our loops an 1.5" -2" long..

Any questions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

-Zack

·
Site Sponsor
573 Posts
Don't over crimp and dont over crimp.
There are two ways of crimping. I just change from point to point style to the more excepted cup to cup style.
I used cup to cup years ago, but was not putting enough pressure on it. I find that there is always a bit of loss in strenth. But can you even lift a hundred pounds with a fishing rod?
I test my rigs to 100lb now. They can normally hold more since I whent back to cup to cup style crimping.

Leadertec Ltd
And yes, go to leader tech for great advice. Always check the section where people give thier comments and tips, look for a guy named Dustin Foo> Read whatever he says, pretty sharpe guy.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
A lot of it can be the type crimper you are using. If you are using one of those $20-30 crimpers, that could be your problem. I just got one made by Braid, and it's about $90, and you can control how much pressure you put on. It's the same every time. Consistency is one of the main keys. Also make sure your crimp isn't going over the edge of the crimp- that will cut the line. Have the crimp centered on the crimp with room on either side.

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I don't think I'd be too concerend with 400lb mono HOLDING 400lbs of weight.... you will never be able to apply that much drag to the line anyway as your main line is going to be your limiting factor....granted, you don't want it snapping at 30lbs, but I'd think if you got anywhere near half to hold under a crimp would be more than sufficient

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
If you burn the tag end of the mono, so there is a little mushroom on it, then snug it down to the size loop you want and then crimp, you are not likely to have the line pull out. So you do not have to crimp as hard to have that "confidence" that your line will not slip. That's why most people overcrimp, which cuts the line. I assume it is the mono snapping, and not the wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts