2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help ! I am Using a couple of 12' Ugly's and have 1 tsunami 10' but was wandering what is the next level of rod out there that will hold up . And I do want both types the heave duty bring in a shark if i need to one aAnd a light cast lures and bait rod to hold and work without needing 4 arms to carry it thanks for your help. And i have heard that Nicks Breakaways are about the best, but a little out of my price range for now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I still have some 12' UGLY's and their great for yakking out baits but when I upgraded I went for a Rod I could cast from the beach into whatever gut I wanted and once you get used to them their unbeatable in my book....Breakaway Tackle and Development [url]www.breakawayusa.com[/url]......BREAKAWAY Rods aren't cheap but worth every dime. I bought my first 11' Spincast surf pole back in the 90's and have been buying them ever since. The surf leaders that BREAKAWAY sells are a must with geting distance and you can buy the sheilds to make your own leaders with them.

·
Registered
360 Posts
After my reading over the post I made it looked like a Sales ad for Breakaway........lol. I had a tough time deciding whether I could afford one or not until I tried one and nothing loads like a Breakaway. I also bought them one at a time to ease the price pain a little! Still the best investment I've made for surf casting. Gander Mountain has quite a few brands to look at..........look for one that loads well compared to your 12' UGLY and handles the lure/bait weight your going to throw considering sand diggers vary in weight depending on conditions. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Next Step Surf Rod

tx064deer;
I think that when I was in Austin in May, I went by Cabella's just south of there.
As I remember it they had Breakaway Rods...You may want to go by there and
check them out....
I personally don't own one. I've been fishing in the surf for about 40 yrs. I've built
alot of my own surf rods and have also bought a lot of used rods. Alot of surf
fishermen have itchy palms and are never satisfied with the rod that is currently
in their hands. I'd just start saving your $$$ for the breakaway you really want,
carring a good size chunk of that $$$ each time you go fishing...That way if you
run onto a good or great deal while you're fishing you can pick it up....
There are almost always extra rods floating around at Surf fishing gatherings like
the "Bum Run" going on at High Island Aug 12-13....[info @ 2coolfishing Shark Board]
Don't get in a hurry unless you're ready to pay retail....
Mustad7731
Jackie

·
Registered
564 Posts
Academy has American rodsmith rods, from what I have read they are supposed to be as good as an OM, and a lot cheaper. I went to find one, but they were almost sold out and didn't have the length I was looking for.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts