2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the suggestion of another member, I'm posting this here in addition to the "general boating" forum.

I'll soon-ish be in the market for a boat. I would like something where we can go offshore for a couple of days if we wanted, maybe out to the Flower Gardens, but that far wouldn't be "every day." I think most trips would be out to the rigs and a maybe any artificial reefs I learn about that are nearby.

What are good distance/length requirements. I do realize there are lots of determining factors, but looking for general rules. I should have a place to keep the boat in the water, so not too concerned with towing it regularly.

Not to worry as much about the cost, more concerned with learning what I need to accomplish my goals. The boat will be almost exclusively for fishing. Cabin would be needed if we were to stay on the boat for a few days.

I'm more than happy to read lots, so if there are good suggestions I'm happy to read.

I know, super basic, but I'm new to the boating world. I've been in others, but never purchased one for myself and I don't want to say "I wish I had xxx" after I get it.

Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
591 Posts
Greg - no matter what boat you buy, you're always going to say ' I wish ...' Boats are a compromise, no such thing as the perfect boat...
Continue with friends and aquantices on different boats, use experienced captns and brokers to help narrow down your first choice.

And know this... statistically, boatowners go through an avg of 3 boats berfore settlling on the one they "keep".

Good luck

ps. a 38' quad outboard is a good starter boat, pm me if interestd, i'm ready to move on to my next boat :)

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
ask any woman, like all things manly,

you can't have enough length

or girth................

·
break out the 80's and them fancy lures
6,836 Posts
Go as big as your pocket book allows. However, be damnn sure it has RANGE. You do not want to be packing 100s of gallons on the deck. Make sure it has huge fish boxes. I like an express boat, and if you go that route look for genset and A/C.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do realize there isn't a perfect boat, but would like to try to avoid the bigger regrets. Certainly I'll be buying used and nothing super new unless I hit the lottery.

Biggest desire is to go offshore (so at least 2 engines) and have a good ~350+ mile range. Will I always need it? No, but I'd rather have it and not use it, than the other way around.

Style, a good fishing boat. That's the important part. I'd prefer something to be less exposed to the weather as I'll take family out at times, not all are up for the full sun beat down (or freezing cold). Having a tuna tower setup is nice, but certainly not mandatory

Length is something "safe" to go out to say the Flower Gardens, never further out than that. It seems like 30ish is reasonable if decent seas and a buddy boat with (I'd like that anyways no matter the size)

Price is factor of course, but I'm not in a speedy rush so I can wait around until "the" boat comes along

Good to know about the going through a few before you settle on one.

I've tons of research to do, but was hoping for a starting point of sorts. Certainly I don't expect a "buy x y and z" just some general ideas. So far, so good on the thread!

·
Registered
707 Posts
boat size

i have the perfect boat for your needs/// it has the cabin for your needs and has diesel for the power and range.......huge back deck for lots of fishing room as well.... READY TO FISH !!!!!!

conatact 361-533-2796

Attachments

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice boat phil....definitely more than I'll spend though! That is, unless I hit the lotto!

I do like the express boat style..

·
dontremember
3,212 Posts
sounds like you're talking about an express or convertable twin diesel with gen set and a/c. just a few points
1. older hulls are thicker and stronger, newer ones are thinner and lighter. stay with the proven names. viking, bertram, hatt. not the lake boats, carver, sunchaser
2. hulls are cheap. sometimes free. good machinery is expensive. the value of a used boat is pretty much the value of it's engines, xmissiions and gen.
3. electronics are obsolete almost annually.
4. large fuel tanks are good for long range, but have thir own issues. weight, maintenance of the fuel inside 'em.
5. tall towers are nice when it's calm
6. speed is great, but it pushes cost up exponetially in fuel and hp that you might not always be able to use. for instance my boat is 33' twin diesel. most summer days average 2 to 4' and on the way out i normally do not drive at my cruise speed of 20 kts. of course on the really calm days that will seem painfully slow.
you're on the right track. the most important step is to identify how you plan to use the boat. marinas are full of nice boats on pretty days. every one of 'em is for sale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having owned up to 11 boats at one time I'd advise don't BUY any for at least 2 yrs- just charter and get the feel for what you'd like. From your questions you're in need of some sea time, so get it while you're learing from that other captain, and maybe get busy on your own Captain's licence.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BT-

Thanks, that is good advice- I posted in the job section looking for any boat work possible...in hopes to help me with more sea time. I've been out a little on boats in South Carolina and a few in TX, but most were confined to the bay. The times we went offshore it was in a boat that was nothing capable (comfortably) of more than 1-3' seas. Certainly I want to do better than that....

My goal is certainly a Captain's License ASAP.

Angler- I did not mention price specifically because I don't know quite enough to narrow it down to a price range AND my price range will likely change between now and when I get a boat which is at the earliest summertime. I do know that 100k+ won't be happening. I just will not commit that much. at this point in my life. With that in mind, I realize I may have to be patient and maybe give up on a few luxuries. I did see a Bertram 28 Sportfish that looked very well...

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
In gas, a Bert 28 will not reach the Flower Gardens (and return) on the standard fuel tanks and at cruise speed. You can get another 25 under the salon and then a couple saddle tanks for under the deck. Even then, at 1 to 1 cruising at 20 knots, its still real tight. Better off with simply using a bladder.

In diesel, its a whole different world. 272 n.m range at 1.7 to 1. Add the tank in the salon, and you are looking at 315 n.m. range.

But, yeah, no factory livewell or fishboxes. All those are aftermarket.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AH. Well, gas may very well be out for a boat period then. Diesel is generally more efficient in the boat world right? I mean, from what I've read it appears that way. A diesel engine does not worry me as far as maintenance b/c I own a diesel truck and understand working on them.

Is there something similar to the Bert 28 looks (fish-able with cabin), but capable of the distance and has decent livewells/fishboxes? Or should I just look at a totally different configuration?

I am definitely not stuck on a Bertram, it was just an example that I saw, showed my wife and it was approved.

One more thing though, I would be MUCH more interested in a trailerable boat as I will live in Clear Lake and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to run the boat the extra 50 miles versus driving down to Galveston or to another launch closer to the Gulf.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
A trailerable boat with a real cabin with ob's, in no particular order, some years are better.

hydrasport
grady
whaler
pursuit
regulator

at least 300gal fuel is a must, nothing less

you are also gonna need a genset for the A/C

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Yeah, its called a diesel Bert 28 with an aftermarket live well and fishboxes.

The livewell and fishboxes are relatively cheap. Its the diesel that tends to eat up the cash.

Trailerable? A Bert 28 (with gas) has a displacement of around 12,500. Loaded for bear, I bet its pushing 14,000 easy.

Now, I'm not saying its not trailerable. Its is. Its just not real easy to trailer. You are goin to need a good trailer and a decent sized truck. And, a ton of patience. And, an oversized load permit.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Ernest..

I've got the truck and have no problem trailer-ing, but more a problem with the trailer size and bridges...I don't think I would have any to go under. Interesting you mention oversize load...I'd have to look into that, Its not oversize I dont think, unless its too wide. Not arguing, just want to check

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
To tell the truth, I we go out we rarely sleep in the cuddy or cabin. It is usually stuffed full of coolers, gear, food, and clothes. It usually smells and is hot. It's easier to get seasick down thar.

What's more important to me is to have not get wet with spray and rain, and have some shade. Believe it or not, many center console boats are used for overnight fishing. We just sleep in bean bag chairs on the deck. These "go-fast" boats tend to pound more than a semi-displacement boat like a Bert, but can go twice as fast in fair seas so you get there in half the time.

So you're kind of on your own as to what you want, a go-fast or a more traditional sports fisherman. The sports fishing boats, even at a "light" 13,000 pounds, are generally no good on trailers - matter of fact, Ive never seen a Bert, Blackfin, or any sportsfisher have a trailer unless you make one custom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts