2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find a rod n reel combo for my son. I had him try my curado on a 6.6 wader special and he still has to much trouble to go fish with it. He is pretty good with a spinning rig but all the handles are to long for the action he likes. Could also use some help on a decent spinning reel for saltwater but do not want to break the bank. Please help, he is really getting into this and I love it. My daughter use to fish with me but now she thinks she is a girly girl. There is still hope for her. Thanks Russ

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
Combo

When my son got into it I bought him a $25 dollar Shimano spinning reel and put it on a Falcon rod with a short handle... I think the rod was $30 or so... I thought $55 was well worth it to have him with me by my side spending some quality time....

I would take your son to a store and let him hold the rods and try them out himself.... and I still think you can get the spinning reels off of the peg board that aren't so darn expensive just clean them and maintain them...

Then when he gets good with a baitcaster or wants a REALLY NICE spinner, well you know the rest of the story..

Anyway you do it, ITS ALWAY GREAT TO TAKE A KID!!!

JDS

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I did the same thing Shupe did. Inexpensive Shimano spinner. Like the Syncopate 2000. If you are casting for trout and reds in the bay or surf you do not need a gigantic reel like you so often see. Something that hold 8-10 lb test line is more than adequate. The 2000 is a smaller reel and, IMO, is the perfect size for a 9 yr old.

Shimano also makes some pretty good rods that are inexpensive. The ones I bought were hard to find at Academy...you really had to search the racks to find it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i agree with the spinner, just make sure and use a swivel. i've also had real success introducing mine to artificial by having them work a plastic under a cajun thunder...

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
ahhhh brings to mind on the arties....

Put a topwater on there too!! Kids love the continuos action and usually can't sit still!! My kid is a topwater addict now... loves to watch it walk on the water.... He is almost 8 now and wants nothing to do with just sitting there!!!

Great way to keep them busy!!!

Jode

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
LagunaShupe said:
Put a topwater on there too!! Kids love the continuos action and usually can't sit still!! My kid is a topwater addict now... loves to watch it walk on the water.... He is almost 8 now and wants nothing to do with just sitting there!!!

Great way to keep them busy!!!

Jode
Agreed. Had mine chunkin' one the other morning and he was upset when I had him fishing something else later in the day.

Dang egg beaters will tick you off with that line twist though. Even with a swivel...it is inevitable. Unless I am missing something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.