2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have looked at many different routes but not sure what would be best in the snow and ice. Leaving Sunday morning, any suggestions appreciated.

Bill

·
I Member Like It Was Yesterday
3,473 Posts
We have looked at many different routes but not sure what would be best in the snow and ice. Leaving Sunday morning, any suggestions appreciated.

Bill
This time of year the best route is subject to change due to weather. The shortest is not the fastest. Bank on $200.00 fuel 1 way You can go up through Oklahoma and Kanas (safest way for dealing with ice and snow) and spend a little more on fuel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just drove from Denver to Vail and back yesterday. It's snowing at the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70, but it's a light snow so the roads are not too bad. It's very windy, so visibility is the bigger issue at the tunnel, but east of the tunnel it's not too bad. You definitely need an all-wheel drive or four wheel drive if you're taking I-70.

It's snowing lightly in Denver right now and expected to continue through tonight. Because the storm is moving east, I'd recommend coming through NM and up I-25 to Denver. The news here is reporting bad roads in Oklahoma and Kansas, but our roads are already cleared and our road department is keeping them pretty good.

I'll shoot you a PM with my number in case you'd like some more info.

Also, you can view CO road cameras here: www.cotrip.org Great site for CO road info.

·
Screw it. Lets ride!
3,259 Posts
I second the flying suggestion. My niece drove down from Colorado Springs last week, and she said there wasnt much snow on the way down, but they got alot the next day. Now she has to drive back in it. My brother bought a one way ticket home so he can go back with her and help her make the trip.

Years back, I wouldnt have hesitated to make the drive, but Ive gotten to where I would rather just fly somewhere and rent a car than to use up vacation days on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts