2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trailer will swing from side to side at 60mph with or without my 4-wheeler. I HAVE NO ABOUT ANYTHING MECHANICAL. So, I need some advice in a big way.
I did what a mechanic friend told me to do, by first checking the springs, then I checked the tire/rim by grabbing each of the tires while on the trailer. Both had about 1/16"-1/8" of a wobble, so I popped the cap to the bearings to see if I needed grease. It seemed to have plenty of grease, so I pulled the cotter pin, removed the nut and washer, then retightened each, and put everything back in order, then found no wobble in the tire whatsoever. Could this have been the problem.

I plan on taking it out tomorrow, and if the swing continues, I plan on taking it to a mechanic.

·
Wishin I was Fishin
1,090 Posts
What length is your trailer....single or dual axle... Was it a homemade trailer or factory built....I've experienced this on single axle trailers...Usually to much weight behind the axle when loaded...Or the axle position is to far forward..

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Could be a bad tire also. Or atleast a tire way out of balance..??

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If it were me I would take it to a trailer place and have them look it over as opposed to a mechanic...

Many years ago I had a trailer that went into that swinging mode on the Gulf freeway and I wound up crashing into the guard rail doing damage to boat, trailer and my under ware..

This can be very serious and can occur in a flash...In heavy traffic not very funny either...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Most of the time thats because of to much weight behind the axle. If its happening while unloaded it could be the axle is to far foward and theres not enough tongue weight. If it happens DO NOT hit the brakes suddenly or you will wreck!

·
Old Man
7,686 Posts
If it were me I would take it to a trailer place and have them look it over as opposed to a mechanic...

Many years ago I had a trailer that went into that swinging mode on the Gulf freeway and I wound up crashing into the guard rail doing damage to boat, trailer and my under ware..

This can be very serious and can occur in a flash...In heavy traffic not very funny either...
yup - it might be something as simple as adding sway bars to reduce sway - a couple of years ago after getting mine serviced I took it on the road and it started to sway. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. It had never done that before. After I got to the RV park and set up I realized they had filled to potable water tank to check for leaks and failed to empty it. Duhhhh...needless to say after empyting it I had no more sway.

·
Native Texan
10,978 Posts
Axles too far forward/not enough weight on the tongue. A simple, but not fail proof, way to find out is, when it is unhooked, if the tongue either won't set on the jack or has very little weight then there is not enough weight on the tongue which is a design flaw. The actual amount of weight that should be on the tongue will depend on the length of the trailer and # of axles. Most single axle trailers should have what would feel like 50 lbs when you pick up the tongue. I recommend that you take it to a trailer place or welder who builds trailers and have them inspect/move the axles back.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the help. I'll give a little more info.

The trailer is a factory made 6' x 10' single axle that I mostly use to pull my Yamaha Grizzly 550 (630lbs). The 4-wheeler does sit back 30" or so from the front of the trailer, but had pulled great for 10 months. All of a sudden, it started swinging.
I took the bike off last week to move some relatively light boxes, and the trailer swung even with the light load.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brother extended the tongue 1 ft and all is well. I also flipped/raised the ball. The little trailer/4-wheeler set up is a sweet little dog training machine.
Thanks for all of the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts