2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Astro Fish & Ski I'm going to replace spots in floor where it is rotted this weekend(weather permitting).....Anyone have advice or any help would be greatly appericated. I already have old carpet ripped out! Thanks Brian

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is the way i have repaired flooring on a couple of boats i have had over the years.

I decided what needs to be replaced. Then to save on fiberglass i cut out the glass and save the patch, i repaired the wood filled with foam and placed the glass i cut out back over the repair. The only thing i had to fiberglass was the edges of the square i cut out.

Another boat needed the whole floor replaced so i cut all along the edge of of the walls, replaced all the wood and filled with foam. I put the floor back on and fiberglassed all around the edge. Wear a dust mask for sure.

Hope it helps, Al.

·
POC chunker
9,209 Posts
One thing that will really help is to make your cut at a 45 degree angle. When you put in the replacement patch, it will sit on top the bevel and not sag around the edges.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great Idea

Thanks for the info very helpful
Pocketfisherman said:
One thing that will really help is to make your cut at a 45 degree angle. When you put in the replacement patch, it will sit on top the bevel and not sag around the edges.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Info?

Thanks for the info!
Team S.A. Blue said:
This is the way i have repaired flooring on a couple of boats i have had over the years.

I decided what needs to be replaced. Then to save on fiberglass i cut out the glass and save the patch, i repaired the wood filled with foam and placed the glass i cut out back over the repair. The only thing i had to fiberglass was the edges of the square i cut out.

Another boat needed the whole floor replaced so i cut all along the edge of of the walls, replaced all the wood and filled with foam. I put the floor back on and fiberglassed all around the edge. Wear a dust mask for sure.

Hope it helps, Al.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I used treated plywood and treated 2x6's. I glassed the 2x6's in. Make sure and sand where ever you are going to put glass. Put resin, glass then more resin. Make sure you get most of the air bubble out. Save you on extreme sanding. You can use only resin on the final coat to get it smooth. Might take several coats of resin.
Best part is if you dont like it sand it off and start over.

·
Banned
166 Posts
...YOU MIGHT BE OPENING PANDORA'S BOX....

If taking up the floor which must be bad, the stringers are going to be right there in front of you to see. Might as well see if they are soft too, and the transom.

Best of luck on this project. If you are looking to see the "How To's", you might want to check the Classic SeaCraft and Classic Mako forums. Even though they are different boats from yours, the documented "how to's" are second to none with guys that know what they are doing.

Enjoy your project!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Bevel Deck Repairs

there are some pics of my deck repairs. If I remember, Pocket got a green for his suggestion on my repair. I made a template for the router and 45 bevel bit. The hole will be framed by epoxying wood to the bottom face of the deck and the beveled insert set on top of the frame and mesh with the bevel. Couldn't get the router under the motor tray to bevel the stern repair. this is not a walk zone so I will frame and epoxy in and glass over.

Pocketfisherman said:

Attachments

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marine Grade Plywood?

Does anyone know where I can buy Marine grade plywood locally in houston area. Trying to get fixed over the weekend!
TimOub007 said:
Some good tips above.

If you want to do it right, and do it for good, don't use pressure treated plywood and don't use polyester resin. You should use marine grade plywood (BS6566 or BS1088) and epoxy.

Go here for a lot of great info:
http://forums.bateau2.com/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=0f4889c2703f373d5600af1da6fa616e

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
Sorry, I should have put that in my first post. You can get it at Houston Hardwoods, up off 290. I built my boat from their Aquatek 6566, some nice stuff.

http://www.houstonhardwoods.com/

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts