2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually keep my 870 Express as a backup gun in case I have any problems with my Beretta 390.

Ive always had a few problems with the 870, but the last few times I have had to use it, it has given me MAJOR problems.

Scenario:

I fire the first round. When I go to pump and eject that spent shell, its like the gun locks up. I cant pump it at all and the action just kind of clicks. I have to grab the pump and slam the butt into the ground for it to eject the shell.

I have used different manufactures and loads and I still have the problem.

I have had 2 different gunsmiths look at it and both said it was just dirty.... But both times right after the GS cleaned it, I took it straight to the field and had the same problem.

I let a customer borrow my beretta the other day and I was going to use my 870 and the constant jamming made the hunt very unentertaining.

I need someone to fix this for me... Anybody. I have 2 new hunters going with me on a hunt on the 9th and I will have to use this gun while they use my autos.

Anyhelp is GREATLY appreciated. And any names of a good gunsmith on the East side of Houston is also great (no one better say Old River Gun Shop.... we wont go into the problems I had there).

Thanks to all and to all a Merry Christmas!!!

CHURCH

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
I had an 870 that did the same thing to. I can't remember (12years ago) what it took to fix it. Might of been something with the rails as they slide to eject the shell. Is it the wood stock? It might of been something in the forearm that was causing the 2 slides to come off tract. It was something to do with the forearm. But once I figured it out it was fine. Call me, and I'll see if I can tell you what to look for. 832 492 8380.Hector

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Jim Howell is the gunsmith at the arms room in League city.....I had a similar problem and it was a dirty/rusty chamber....after polishing it with 4/0 steel wool on a rechargeable drill it ejected fine...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Justin, I have a Browning BPS that does the same thing. Take some steel wool and polish the chamber real good. That should fix the problem. I have to do this to mine after every "wet" hunt. If it rains or there is fog the gun starts jamming on the next hunt if I don't do this. I have had the gun for 30 years and I shoot it better than any other shotgun I have so I have learned to live with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had one in high school, great gun. I had the same problem. Take a power drill and and the copper brush that comes with the gun cleaning kit and get after the barrel next to the chamber. U have to work it.

·
Make blood !!!
3,715 Posts
It's not from the chamber being dirty or rusty. I did all that to. After a while the slides come out from there rail guide. I think if you squeze them together as you try to eject the shell, it will eject it just fine. I think I just bought a new forearm and it fixed the problem.But it gets that way from the wood getting slop and play in the forearm from use over the years.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My son just bought a new 870 express this year right before dove season and it has done the same thing. We have four other 870 wingmasters and never a problem. Guess the express just is not as finished and will have to do some polishing.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I shoot an 870 and it could be one of several things. I have learned that I simply cannot shoot rusty shells. The slight expansion will stick them, so if there's a hint of rust on them I either chunk them or sand paper/steel wool/oil the brass. If you're shooting new shells, and have changed manufacturers to try all the different brands, it's most likely either a dirty chamber, a rusty chamber (doesn't take much), or it has a rough spot from the factory. It's fine with an unspent shell, but after firing there is just a slight expansion and it sticks. A good cleaning with oil and then some steel wool on the drill will do the trick. Be good to do it out in the field with a rechargeable drill so you can test and keep polishing. If after a ton of polishing it still fails, it may be the arms of the pump coming out of their tracks... but most likely you'd have this problem on occasion even when you don't fire it. It's also rare. But, you can check those arms and the slides for any rough edges and polish them to make it run slicker.

If all of that doesn't work (it should) you may have a problem with the bore that is just a defect in that particular gun and you'll need a gunsmith to fix it (or remington to replace it).

And if none of this is what it is, please pm me and let me know what it was. I'd like to know for future knowledge.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Capn covered it. if it never sticks with an unfired shell it's the chamber, not the slide arms, etc. Remington had a problem with rough chambers from he factory. Chuck up a bore brush in a drill motor, pour the Hoppes to it and give it heck. I have used a 10 ga. bore brush for this job. what happens is that plastic residue builds up in the chamber due to heat of combustion and a rough chamber just exacerbates the problem. I NEVER had this problem with the Wingmaster I shot from the time I bought it USED when I was 16 until a couple years ago (I'm 60) and I had it repeatedly with a 870 express I bought several years ago and ended up selling for $50 (all it was worth). Same exact scenario. If the chamber is rough from the factory, a good cleaning will solve the problem for a while but it will re-occur. If it's just never had a really good cleaning, you might be good for years.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've had the same problem. Cost me a wallhanger eaglehead last year. The goose flew 10 feet over the decoys as I'm slamming the butt into the ground trying to eject the shell. Went ahead & bought a SBE II but will remember the drill tip if I ever pull out "Ole' Rusty" & it happens again.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You need to polish the chamber. I have fixed a whole bunch of 870 Express shotguns for myself and others with this same problem. It isn't the shells, it isn't the slide rails, it isn't because it is dirty. It is because Remington's chambers are not smooth enough.

Go to an auto parts store and ask for a 3 stone brake hone. Get some good oil. Get a drill. Put the brake hone in the drill. Compress the three fingers of the brake hone and insert into the chamber, you must remove the barrel from the gun to do this. Start running the drill at a moderate to mod-fast speed. Keep the hone moving in and out. Run it all the way into the forcing cone and all the way back out to the outermost part of the chamber. Be very careful not to pull it too far out, if the hone comes out while spinning you can easily break it. Shoot a little oil to it from time to time and hone the chamber very well. Next take the end of a cleaning rod and put a wire brush in it. Wrap steel wool around that. Then buff with that for a good while. Last, clean the chamber and barrel, assemble the gun and go test it.

If you do it right this will fix the issue. The hone will cost you under $20 and will hone several chambers if you don't break it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and ask for a 3 stone brake hone. Get some good oil. Get a drill. Put the brake hone in the drill.
Green to you Salty! Never thought of a brake cylinder hone! I have used a split dowel rod with emery paper and that worked decent but the hone sounds like the answer!

It doesn't only happen with Remington 870s they're just the worst.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts